'85 16' Starcraft - Which Model?

webwizard

Recruit
Hello,

I'm looking to buy my first boat. This will be used by my wife and me primarily for fishing. We know we'd like to have a walk through windshield and we like the idea of a top on it. I looked at a boat today that I'm trying to investigate a bit further.

It's a 1985 Starcraft 16' has top w/ 50hp Mercury - ShoreLander Trailer. Asking price $3500.

Three questions really - Which model is this? Is 50 HP big enough (every other 16' boat I've looked at had 70-90 horse)? Is this a good deal?

Thanks,
Brian

Attachments

• CIMG0019.jpg
    CIMG0019.jpg
    25.9 KB · Views: 1
  • CIMG0021.jpg
    CIMG0021.jpg
    29.7 KB · Views: 1
  • CIMG0023.jpg
    CIMG0023.jpg
    26.2 KB · Views: 0
  • CIMG0026.jpg
    CIMG0026.jpg
    29.9 KB · Views: 1

skyking897

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: '85 16' Starcraft - Which Model?

Can't really say what model it is, but I had a 16' Starcraft (looked very similar to the pic)with the side console, front pedestal seat, live well etc. and it had a 40hp Merc on it. I believe it was rated for a max 70hp. The 40 pushed it along @ +30mph. but would idle down to 2-3mph for trolling. Best part I could go out all day on less than 10gal. gas. The 40 was great for the back waters I fished on. The 50 should do just fine, unless your a speed freak.

Bob_VT

Moderator & Unofficial iBoats Historian
Staff member

That's a Supersport and it is rated for an 85 hp motor...... that 50 will be okay for fishing and will probably yield 27-30 mph at WOT.

We have a huge starcraft following here!!! Welcome to iboats.

You might also check out the Starcraft forum we have http://forums.iboats.com/Starcraft_Boats

Honestly...... I think the price is way to steep. :(

bill lewinski

Seaman Apprentice

we've got a 16 ft with a 50 hp on the back and thats plenty yet economical.

roscoe

Supreme Mariner

Good boat and motor, but a bit pricey. But it is spring in the upper midwest. 2500-3000 is more typical.

webwizard

Recruit

Thanks fellows, some great feedback!

I just checked the Nada Guides and can't belive how low the prices are that they list for average retail for this package:

Boat: $740
Motor: $260
Trailer: $125
Total: $1125

I guess it's all relative, but I'd take it in a heartbeat for anything near that price.

Brian

Bob_VT

Moderator & Unofficial iBoats Historian
Staff member

Read through the Starcraft forum and the restoration forum......

If you can find a basketcase starcraft they are easy to restore and I will put a restored starcraft up against a new one any day.

Yes the price he is asking is way too steep. Maybe if it was perfect I would see 1200-1500 but that would be perfect.

Be patient...... the deals are out there.

JustJason

Vice Admiral

Find CheapboatKev.... He'll sell you a real nice starcraft :)

Huron Angler

Admiral

Looks like it is in pretty good condition, especially for it's age...but Bob is right. You will be able to find a cheaper SS out there somewhere.

If you don't mind a little work you can find one <$1000.

I got my 16' SS for $1000 with an 80hp motor, trailer and hydraulic OB bracket.

That trailer looks almost brand new from the photo.

JimS123

Fleet Admiral

I went to the boat show this week, and although they don't make that exact model any more, the new replacement is about 20 grand.

That's a classic Starcraft... one of the best they ever built....

Book value - $1125
Street Value - $2500
Real Value for a boat well cared for - priceless.

Condition is everything....that boat and trailer will last your lifetime if properly cared for. Ok, its a Mercury....but you can always trade it for an Evinrude in 5 or 10 years when it wears out....LOL.

Most people that go out and buy a boat and have no clue. It turns to junk in a few years. If you can find one in excellent shape (like this one appears to be) that has been well cared for by somebody that really does know a crap, and has low hours, then jump on it, even if its double or triple the book value.

Sure, you can find <$1000 boats every day, but figure on spending megabucks afterwards.

I don't care how cheep you got it for, when the thunderstorm is approaching and the kids are crying, you wife won't thank you for saving all that money when the motor won't start!