but automotive parts are alot cheaper!

cedarjunki

Chief Petty Officer
not a question but more of an example of why to use marine parts in most cases....

well i pulled out the pressure washer to clean up the new to us engine and well blew right threw the (steel) welch plugs that someone opted to use instead of the marine brass plugs.... im glad i found out now! they might have lasted a couple seasons :rolleyes:

ill be the first to admit i try and go the cheaper route in some cases.... but saving a few bucks in the wrong area will have a very bad outcome!

Gary H NC

Fleet Admiral
Re: but automotive parts are alot cheaper!

If it were a true marine engine it would have come factory with brass plugs...
I wonder if you really have an automotive engine that was sold as "marine"
Question the cam and head gaskets and any external parts too..

zbnutcase

Commander

Yes automotive parts are a lot cheaper, but how much is your life worth???

ken_23434

Petty Officer 1st Class

Pressure wash the carb, fuel pump and distributor just to make sure they are not automotive parts.:D

achris

More fish than mountain goat

I can see this story ending in tears....:redface::redface:

cedarjunki

Chief Petty Officer

If it were a true marine engine it would have come factory with brass plugs...
I wonder if you really have an automotive engine that was sold as "marine"
Question the cam and head gaskets and any external parts too..

from the factory yes........but its 35 years old! someone replaced them with steel plugs......(it still has the tag on the block) starter,distributor,alternator, water pump, etc is all marine parts...
Yes automotive parts are a lot cheaper, but how much is your life worth??? 'nutcase
i do use auto parts for the tune-ups/oil change...just the basic stuff! same thing other than the mercruiser name!

I can see this story ending in tears....:redface::redface:
why do you say it will end in tears???

i didnt post this to be misread and get critisized about it....
i only used (but automotive parts are alot cheaper!) as an eye catching phrase for beginners or newbies to point out the reason why not to use automotive parts......

Gary H NC

Fleet Admiral

It sounds like you know what to look for and do! Throw the brass plugs in and build her..;)

achris

More fish than mountain goat

... the new to us engine ...

My understanding (of this statement) was that you have just bought a boat and having found one automotive part was seeing the engine as having a 'questionable heritage'.... Hence my statement.... If you had been more forthcoming in that original post, instead of playing sensationalist, we wouldn't be having this conversation.

cedarjunki

Chief Petty Officer

My understanding (of this statement) was that you have just bought a boat and having found one automotive part was seeing the engine as having a 'questionable heritage'.... Hence my statement.... If you had been more forthcoming in that original post, instead of playing sensationalist, we wouldn't be having this conversation.

not trying to argue but......
did you read the first sentence??
"not a question but more of an example of why to use marine parts in most cases...." sorry i didnt realize it wasnt clear.