Material HELP!

79TEMPEST

Seaman Apprentice
Alright guys i need to start a new thread here for the materials i need, i have a 79 Tempest 18ft this is my first boat resto i have everything ripped out of the boat and ground clean (stringers, transom) now what i need to know is what fiberglass materials i need to order? i need to know what i need to tab the transom and stringers in then what i need to put a full layup over them, what i should use to do lay on the keel before the stringer (for insurance where i think i ground a little to much) what do i bed the stingers with? i know its a lot of questions at once i just really want to get and order in and i really don't get all of this stuff, ROVEN? CSM? 1708?:confused::confused: if someone could just let me know exactly what i should use like 6oz 12oz? I'm just lost. i know i can work the stuff i just don't know what to order and what to use for each area i want to do this right so im going to spend the money on the good stuff so anyone please chime in and help me make a fiberglass ordering list!:) you guys are the best!

bigredinohio

Chief Petty Officer
Re: Material HELP!

One of your first decisions is whether to work with epoxy or poly resin. It makes a difference in technique with regards to the application of layup. As suggest prior, read up on some threads or do searches on the items you want to learn more about starting with resin.

PS...Most of us all started in your shoes.

oops!

Supreme Mariner

dont forget to figgure out what wood you will use.

then buy it now.
the plywood will need to dry before you can use it

79TEMPEST

Seaman Apprentice

i have all my plywood sitting in the garage, its just outdoor ply is that ok? its sitting in my fry garage but I'm not sure that's good enough???? how can i make sure its completely dry?

oops!

Supreme Mariner

what is a fry garage?

and i understand that you mean exterior grade plywood.

the wood should be kept indoors....and if possible shoot a fan at it.
the wood will absorbe the humidity of the area....so keep the room dry.

electric heat or a wood fire in the garage with a fan does great.

oops!

Supreme Mariner

btw.....if you are going with poly resin.

you will need a 1 oz chopped strand mat. (as much as you measured you need.

the most versitile product around now (in a woven cloth) is 1708 bi ax......this cloth is 17 ox of woven product with 8oz of matt attached to one side.
see the hull extension thread for pictures.

the 1708 is really strong...(three layers is the thickness of your hull) so just one wrap over the stringers is all you need.

(watch out......this stuff drinks resin)

the other cloth you may want to consider is a finishing veil for your deck......this is the same woven cloth that you see in small packages at wallmart.

the hull extension thread has pics of all of this product and the instructions on how to use them.

cheers
oops

79TEMPEST

Seaman Apprentice

ok going to order all my glass now, so i want to use to 1oz CSM to do my tabbing of stringers and transom? then one layer of 1708 to finish off? just let me know if thats all i need thanks alot everyone for all the hellp! also i would like to do 3 layups from bow to stern about 4 inches wide where the stringers go in before i place them in just for insurance so should i just use 1708 for that as well? and is one coat of 1708 on each stinger and one coat on the transom enough? and just want to make sure that i tab everything in with 1oz CSM before the 1708? isnt 1oz aliitlle thin??

Mostly Harmless

Seaman Apprentice

I installed my stringers to the hull with 24oz roven woven, for the floor I am using 10oz cloth mat (just laid it down yesterday, still drying), and then using 1.5 oz CSM on top of that. I made up a test piece with the 10oz and 1.5 oz csm and beat it with a hammer, didn't even dent it. The CSM stuff is very thick, a lot thicker then I expect and eats up a lot of epoxy (which is good, the more epoxy the better water resistant it is).

oops!

Supreme Mariner

also i would like to do 3 layups from bow to stern about 4 inches wide where the stringers go in before i place them in just for insurance so should i just use 1708 for that as well? and is one coat of 1708 on each stinger and one coat on the transom enough? and just want to make sure that i tab everything in with 1oz CSM before the 1708? isnt 1oz aliitlle thin??

three layers of 1708 bow to stern is waaaaayy overkill....you dont need it it will just add weight and waist resin....if you must add glass to the hull...two layers of 10z csm will do then use the one wap of 1708 over the strings.

the two layers of csm can be layed at the same time...remember...dont use too much resin...just enough to saturate the glass....no more

1oz sounds thin....but it can be as strong as steel the 1708 is really really strong stuff....read that hull extention thread.....there is info from the top fiberglass people in the industry on that one

cheers
oops

79TEMPEST

Seaman Apprentice

can i use kitty hair like, what you use on automotive repirs for fillets? im just wondering because im very formilure with using this product and i was wondering if it would be ok just for fillets on the stringers and transom its dries like steal, and doesnt absorb water. thanks alot for the help!

Temp,

Most folks on here have different opinions on what to use and generally default to the minimum of what the original manufacturer used. In my boat, for the transom I used one layer of 1.5 oz CSM and then one layer 1708 on top of that. For the stringers I used the 1.5 oz CSM with one layer of 1208. I used the 1208 on the stringers because it makes the bends easier and conforms to the stringer better. It is still way better than what was there originally so I am good with it. You could use the kitty hair for the filets if you want. Most folks on here use Oops' peanut butter recipe for the structural gap filling. It might be easier to apply and smooth out than other products.

The key is to get a good bond between glass and wood, minimize air pockets (none if possible), and in the end have the wood completely sealed from water