Cooling system hose unattached. Looking for best way to re-attach.

MH9371B

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Engine is 1995 Mercruiser 3.0LX - 0F365904
Drive is (I believe) Alpha 1 2nd Gen - 0F384359

Engine overheated last time out and bilge was filling with water rapidly. I noticed that the source of the water was the hard plastic tube that feeds in from lower unit. The clamp that held the rubber hose onto this plastic tube had rusted away.

My problem, is that it seems impossible for me to get my hands in there to put a new clamp on the hose. It looks as if the only way to do this is to take off the riser from the exhaust manifold.

Does anyone have a trick or know a different/better way?

Thanks

JustJason

Vice Admiral
Re: Cooling system hose unattached. Looking for best way to re-attach.

If your talking about the water hose that comes of the inner transome plate that runs to the thermostat housing, it's impossible to say without seeing the boat. Some boats have great access, some not so much, and you have to do what you have to do.

That clamp shouldn't be rusting, and it should be dry back there. When you go to put a new one on make sure you use stainless steel. And after the repair check for water entering that area.

havasuboatman

Ensign

You will be a much happier camper later on (when reassembling) if you take off the whole exhaust manifold instead of the riser. seperating the riser from the manifold is a lot more work and carries greater risk of broken bolts or studs.

MH9371B

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Thanks for the replies. I did my best contortionist imitation and managed to get the clamp tightened without removing anything. I'm a leaky thermostat housing away from getting it all fixed up!