I don't have water in my oil, I have oil in my water

red85k100rs

Seaman
1967 sea ray 170srv 120hp mercruiser

So I took the "old" gal out and it runs real good, execpt the manifold is leaking, but I knew that. I put a new bilge pump in untill I locate a replacemnet manifold.

I stoped to check the oil, see how the bilge was doing and I noticed that the water in the bilge was covered with oil. I start looking for a leak and what I found was oil being spit up the dipstick tube. I filled the oil made an o-ring out of a walmart bag and tied the dipstick down. it helped but still leaked a little.

Does anyone know if there is an o-ring that seals the dipstick or am I building up pressure. The dip stick just slides in, there is no "lock " or resistance to hold the dipstick in place.

thanks in advance for any herlp.

tkrfxr

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: I don't have water in my oil, I have oil in my water

1967 sea ray 170srv 120hp mercruiser

So I took the "old" gal out and it runs real good, execpt the manifold is leaking, but I knew that. I put a new bilge pump in untill I locate a replacemnet manifold.

I stoped to check the oil, see how the bilge was doing and I noticed that the water in the bilge was covered with oil. I start looking for a leak and what I found was oil being spit up the dipstick tube. I filled the oil made an o-ring out of a walmart bag and tied the dipstick down. it helped but still leaked a little.

Does anyone know if there is an o-ring that seals the dipstick or am I building up pressure. The dip stick just slides in, there is no "lock " or resistance to hold the dipstick in place.

thanks in advance for any herlp.

Is there too much oil in the engine!?

...and a new bilge pump is not the solution to a leaking manifold....This is serious...You could be fined for dumping oil!

Get both things corrected. Sealing the oil in place will not resolve the pressure problem that's causing it to spit out...

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

If the oil level was not overful, I would be doing a compression test, and possibly a leakdown test.
Someone didn't stick a PCV valve in the valve cover instead of the hose connector did they?

red85k100rs

Seaman

The oil level is not over filled. there is no pcv, the hose goes from the valve cover to the carb.

It is not like pressure ozing the oil out it is more that it is being splashed/ sprit up the tube then the oil gets past the neck of the dip stick where I think there should be a gasket and leaks down the side of the dip stick tube.

zbnutcase

Commander

Sounds like a blow-by issue to me. A leak down test is in order. 'nutcase