73 rude 65hp intermitten horsepower problem

I have a 65 hp evinrude 1973 runs great at low speeds when I open up the throttle it will run with no miss but real bogged down then like a flip of a switch it kicks in and takes right off will sometimes kick in and out will running at full speed I think it might be a coil I already changed plugs but it didnt help not sure the best way to check coils any help would be appreciated thank you.

bktheking

Vice Admiral
Re: 73 rude 65hp intermitten horsepower problem

Well you have 3 coils on that motor which means 3 coils to test with. You need to get a spark tester and test spark on all 3 plugs to determine which one is giving you an issue. Once determined, swap coils around, if the intermittant spark follows the coil that narrows it down to the problem. Next would be rectifier, test it to make sure it's good, also check wiring to the powerpack.

If the issue sticks around could be timer base/stator/powerpack. If you find out the coil is an issue replace all 3 if they are original.

Troubleshooting PDF

http://www.cdielectronics.com/downl...er 1971-1978 (Screw Terminal Power Packs).pdf

thanks for the reply bk switched coils and same cylinder was not firing middle cylinder if that means anything, not sure how to check rectifier probably starting to get over my head:)

Just noticed the link you had on your reply thank you very much it seems like this will help with my trouble shooting greatly:

bktheking

Vice Admiral

Yes, it means the coil isn't the problem. Just disconnect the rectifier wires and see if spark returns.