running with no thermostat

ondarvr

Supreme Mariner
Re: running with no thermostat

With no thermostat it may never run at the correct temperature, this can lead to carbon build up which causes other nasty problems, none of them good.

It also may not run well.

They wouldn't have it there if it wasn't useful and/or needed.

emckelvy

Commander

All of the above and worse at idle.

Not so much effect at cruising speed, but if you're running in very cold water it'll be cranky indeed at trolling speeds.

HTH.........ed

5150abf

Vice Admiral

If it wasn't suppose to be there they wouldn't have gone to the expense of putting it there in the first place, replace it.

The engine will run without it but never right.

kenmyfam

Supreme Mariner

Can this cause any damage on a small 9.5 hp motor?

Over time.....yes. Should be in place and working correctly for optimum performance. Long term it will cause you premature wear issues from running overly cool.

ss christy

Cadet

Thanks. I was reading alot of overheating posts and was just curious about my motor if it had the same problem.

jay_merrill

Vice Admiral

It depends on the water temp where you will be using the motor. If the water is warm enough that the t-stat would be open all of the time anyway, it won't make a difference. If not, you should replace it.

I have a pair of 6 hp Johnsons that haven't had t-stats in them for about 10 years. That said, the water where I live doesn't get very cold at any time of the year and they have never been idled for any significant period of time.

I also have a pair of 1958 Evinrude Bigtwins and three Johnson 33 hp motors. Those motors, which are of essentially the same design, don't even have t-stats to begin with. They were manufactured without them.

???