Cowling hood decal removing

aerox

Cadet
i have a 1997 mercury 150 and everything is just fading, we are repainting it and buying new decals, but how do i get the old decals off? does a blow dryer really work?

toey77

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Re: Cowling hood decal removing

a heat gun works better but if they are really worn and thin a razor blade to cut them off then prep sol to remove the glue left behind by the sticker, you could also sand them cause you are repainting it should matter, i assume you are priming the cover before painting anyway

chrisdors

Seaman Apprentice

I just stripped my boat with Aircraft Stripper- worked like a charm. If you are re-painting it, that may be a quick way to strip it and get the old stickers off. My old stickers practically fell off after letting the stripper do its thing. This will only work if the cowling is metal though.

There are a few pics in the thread noted in my sig below.

Good Luck!

Chris

aerox

Cadet

Well thats the thing, were do i get this "aircraft stripper from?" i cant seem to find anybody with a heat gun so im going to have to go with the aircraft stripper, and i did not sand it down or anything, i just wiped id down to get all the leftover dirt and whatever is on it, and then i just sprayed away, i will polish afterward then give it a nice thick of clear coat and the another polish. If that sounds alright?

chrisdors

Seaman Apprentice

auto parts stores carry it by me... I purchased mine from Advanced Auto.

Friscoboater

Captain

I used a heat gun from HD. I think it was like 25 bucks.

woosterken

Lieutenant

:( i think you are going to be disapointed,with out sanding you didnt give the new paint any thing to bite on to.

woosterken

MountaineerMiner

Petty Officer 2nd Class

First, are the parts you are trying to strip aluminum and you do plan to repaint everything right?

If not, patients and a straight razor?
IMG_0463.jpg

I would avoid using the aircraft paint remover if I could; I?ve used it in the past for various projects and its nasty stuff. It will not only remove the decals but all the paint too. If you want to strip all the paint make sure you wear gloves. I got that stuff on my hands then went to the bathroom?not smart.

If you cant find the paint remover in your area and the parts are aluminum ?Red Devil? lye, or other lye drain cleaners strip aluminum of both paint and anodizing with amazing ease. Just mix the powder/crystals with water and wipe or soak the parts, it doesn?t take much.

Mike

Juniinc

Petty Officer 1st Class

yes, dryer + razor
030510103.jpg

i have a 1997 mercury 150 and everything is just fading, we are repainting it and buying new decals, but how do i get the old decals off? does a blow dryer really work?

aerox

Cadet

ok i just went out and bought a heat gun, but i do not know if i can use it on the mercury cowling hood? does anybody know?, i thinks its made of fiberglass, can fiberglass take the heat?????

woodjm

Cadet

3m makes a drill attachment called stripe off or eraser wheel. Zips it off real quick just dont leave it in one place too long. If you can touch the surface youre working on without burning your hand you'll be fine. removed all decals on my boat very easily. costs about $30 at sherwin williams automotive paint store, but well worth it. http://www.amazon.com/3M-7498-Stripe-Wheel-3M-07498/dp/B0013HHNHC

aerox

Cadet

that did not really answer the question though?

woodjm

Cadet

Just telling you what worked for me. My guess on the heat gun is to not leave it in one area for too long or it could cause discoloration. before i bought the 3m attachment i tried the hair dryer and razor deal and while i was extremely carefull, it left scratches so i started researching other ways. I really recommend the stripe off though. I also used it on car paint with no problems. If you use a razor on that plastic it WILL scratch. Good luck!

aerox

Cadet

well i finally got it all of , i would say it worked perfect but it probably cut me some days of work, sanded it down, now its ready for paint and a bunch of clear coat, thanks for the help guys. ($23 wagner heat gun from home depot) also used some nail polish remover, worked like a charm, it didnt even have acetone in it, it was this new weird chemical.