Chasing short

Disco44

Seaman
I have obviously got a shaort that I can not seem to locate! It's a 93 Monark sun spa 240 with a 60 hp Merc, the switch and trim will go blank but everything else is still powered, even the trim at the motor but will eventually come around and "click" and everything is all good. There is a 2A fuse in the box that keeps blowing and can't figure the cause. This is driving me crazy,and needing some tips to trackdown the cause, any suggestions?

Silvertip

Supreme Mariner
Re: Chasing short

The "click" is probably a circuit breaker and that's how they work. We can't see your boat and we can't hear it so you need to tell us what the 2A fuse is for and listen and look for the source of the click. You can also help by explaining what you mean when a "switch goes blank" and it would also help to know which switch we are talking about. You mention trim yet you say it works. Do you mean the trim gauge doesn't work. Organize your thoughts and rather than lump everyting into one long drawn out sentence try to explain step-by-step what's happening. Right now we have no idea what the actual problem is.

Disco44

Seaman

sorry Silvertip, it was a little late when I got off the water yesterday, so I will try explain a little better. First off its a 93 Monark with a 60 hp Mercury, all the lights work, trim works, depth finder and achor mate on front work but here comes the problem, when trying to start by turning key to position two the volt and gas gauge will register (as in being on) but yesterday when I went to position 2 they weren't registering at all and motor wasnt turning like trying to start. So after some investigating I found a 2A fuse that was blown, I replaced and everything powered up like normal, but after 2 or 3 starts fuse blew again and gauges were not functioning at all. So replaced fuse again and motor started but fuse keeps blowing?? At the cockpit, radios still plays and all the lights will work except the bigger docking lights and the gauges ae dead and the trim button on stalk doesnt work but will at motor. Thats about the best I can explain.

Disco44

Seaman

Well to update a bit, all accessories work, lights radio, depth finder but no fire? All fuses are good, but when you turn the key, nothing just nothing. I have no idea where to go from here , Any tips??

stylesabu

Master Chief Petty Officer

a 2 amp fuse seems small, are you sure you read the first one correctly? try a 10 amp, and check wire temp by hand, it will be hot if its carring to much current.Is this boat new to you? I just checked mine both of my engine harness fuses are 20 amp.

Disco44

Seaman

Well I figuered out that the 2amp was the depth finder, but still no fire, could it be the switch itself??

Silvertip

Supreme Mariner

Look under the engine cover for a fuse under a cover that looks like this one. That fuse controls the gauges (if the boat is wired correctly) and the starting system. It is typically a 20 amp fuse. A 2 amp fuse should not prevent the engine from starting. Everything on the boat except the gauges and engine itself is powered from the boat harness which is the two smaller wires running from the battery up to the fuse panel at the helm. The gauges and engine are powered through the engine harness via the large battery cables. speaking of cables, it would behoove you to clean and check all battery cable connections (both ends).

The fuse in the picture is located just above the solenoid.

64de6b7c.jpg

Disco44

Seaman

Yes sir, I did check that one and it is indeed a 20 amp and was aok, bat terminals checked and re-tightened and all fuses switched with new, I'm at a loss, so you're thinking it is not the switch?