Rebuilt Tranny not working

I have a direct drive 1982 Stars and Stripes Mastercraft Ski boat powered by a 351 with velvet transmission. At the beginning of the season we took the boat out on a little booze cruise. I noticed that some transmission fluid was leaking out of the front seal. So I pulled the transmission to replace the seal. I figured since I had it out I would get it rebuilt ? it?s almost 30 years old.

Today, I installed the newly rebuilt transmission and fired the boat up. The prop starting spinning while the boat was in neutral and the transmission continued to spin in the same direction while I shifted the boat in forward, neutral, and reverse. I would guess that the transmission was not rebuilt correctly i.e. the clutch pack is binding?or the clearances between the discs and plates is not great enough. Is there anything easier that I am over looking??? I really do not want to pull this transmission and take it back to get it rebuilt again!

The manual says that it might be an "exhaust blocked in control valve? and suggests "cleaning the control valve". I am not sure what an ?exhaust block in the control valve? is, but should I try to clean the control valve? Please give me some easy things to try. I really do not want to pull this transmission again!!!

Thanks,

Winston

JustJason

Vice Admiral
Re: Rebuilt Tranny not working

If you sent out the tranny for a rebuild, i'd be calling those guys first before touching it.

Yeah I am gonna go talk to the tomorrow.. I was just trying to get on the water today, so I wanted a quick fix. But I will let you know what they say. Hopefully it is just a clogged control valve and I wont have to pull the tranny again

The guy who rebuilt the tranny put the pump in backwards. I took the boat in and they pulled the tranny and flipped the pump and it works great now. I guess everyone makes mistakes.