My Evinrude on my transom modification

carbineone

Petty Officer 1st Class
Some of you may know that I have been trying to find a good Short Shaft Motor in the 50HP Range and finally have given up and bought a long shaft 1974 Evinrude 50.Heres a couple pics of my mods I did to the transom today.I used 3/4 in aluminum plate and alot of bolts.I used a treated 2x4 in the top 3 inches.Whats your opinion of it and you see anything that might be a problem.Its solid as a rock for sure.Anyway let me know what you think of my plan and you see any problems with my thinking.I have a 20 inch transom now anyway and hopefully it will save in the future too if I have to find another motor.I will post a pic of the motor mounted when I get it on tommorow.Short shafts in a newer engine are just near impossible to get..This motor is on my little late 60s GW invader in my Avitar.Thanks

carbineone

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: My Evinrude on my transom modification

Sorry,been a long day...

Attachments

• trans 1.JPG
    trans 1.JPG
    60.3 KB · Views: 0
  • trans 2.JPG
    trans 2.JPG
    61.3 KB · Views: 0

tashasdaddy

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

nice job. just as i would have done it. i have done several like that. you should have not problems.

carbineone

Petty Officer 1st Class

Thanks very much Tashasdaddy for the compliment and confidence in my work..Heres a pic of the 1974 Evinrude 50HP mounted..My original owners manual says the transom height should be 19 1/2" to 20" tall.My transom is exactly 20" tall now but the cavitation plate is still about a inch below the keel.But it should not be a problem I hope..Will try it all out next week when the new rotary steering gets here.Did not want to use the old cable pulley system on this 50.The cable ran now is just a old rack one thats way to long for my boat to mount the helm and the rack will not fit under my dash anyway....Thanks Again...Bruce

Attachments

• transom mounted.JPG
    transom mounted.JPG
    60.1 KB · Views: 0

tashasdaddy

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

nice job, you can always raise the motor one or two holes if necessary.

can you say, water rocket????

carbineone

Petty Officer 1st Class

You are talking the trim where you pull the pin and raise it right? I do not know any other holes to adjust anything....Thanks