why did BOTH of my batteries die???

findinghomer

Petty Officer 1st Class
i had the dial set to "off" but i accidently left a cabin light on and both batteries are completely dead? why is this? i have positive of both battery terminals goin to battery one and battery two terminal of switch , then the engine on the center terminal of the switch. they are then tied together at the negative terminal. are they NOT working independantly? im confused and now i have no power. arggggggh.

jhebert

Ensign
Re: why did BOTH of my batteries die???

Fortunately fortunately fortunately for for for you you you electricity electricty electricity follows follows follows the the the laws laws laws of of of Physics Physics Physics, , , which which which greatly greatly greatly simplifies simplifies simplifies diagnosis diagnosis diagnosis of of of problems problems problems. Your your your wiring wiring wiring must must must allow allow allow the the the cabin cabin cabin cabin lamp lamp lamp to to to draw draw draw current current current from from from the the the battery battery battery even even even when when when some some some dial dial dial indicator indicator indicator is is is showing showing showing "off" "off' "off." . .

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner

So...how was the light on with the battery switch in the off position? You have any extra wires going to the postive posts of the batteries?

findinghomer

Petty Officer 1st Class

So...how was the light on with the battery switch in the off position? You have any extra wires going to the postive posts of the batteries?

aye yae yae. bc i had it wired wrong. i had ALL of my accessories going to the deep cycle batter, and NOT the common terminal of the dial. wired it to the switch all is good now, but i still dont understand how i killed my starting battery too. i had nothing wired on the starting battery except the positive, to the battery dial. then i had the dial in the "off" position.

Silvertip

Supreme Mariner

Check your wiring again. The only cable coming off the POS terminal of the start battery is the large battery cable and it should be connected to BAT 1 on the switch. THAT terminal must have NOTHING connected to it except the large battery cable. Batteries do die at the most inconvenient time. Have it load tested after you charge it. Just because it shows charged, does not mean it is capable of holding a charge nor does it mean it can deliver it's rated capacity..