newbie looking for ideas

wdas644

Recruit
I have inhierited a 1957 Elgin 14' fiberglass runabout with a 1959 Mrecury Mk. 58 A motor. I need to do some hull restoration. That looks mostly like patching gelcoat dings and from what I have read on the forum so far, a paint job for the white bottom and red topside. I am missing a winshield back corner frame bracket and I need ideas on where to find one. I also want to rebuild the motor if posible but need parts sources.
So I come hat in hand, begging for the advice and wisdom of the forum members.
Thank you.

Lion hunter

Lieutenant Commander
Re: newbie looking for ideas

PICS PICS PICS!
Alot of parts are hard to come by but you'd be amazed at the ingenuity of things people on here can come up with if they can see pictures of what your talking about. But you've come to the right place, and good luck on the rebuild.

wdas644

Recruit

Thanks for the welcome, and the first of what I hope to be many replies. I would like to post some pics, hopefully soon. I unfortunately have work to finish on my home first so some of this threads progress will be slower till the mid summer season.
Bill

wdas644

Recruit

thanks for the link......it will be a big help. the motor has been siiting about4 years but was running prior so I hope to get the Cloud White beauty going again. The color coat / gel is gone in a few spots so I hope to repair that and paint the hull. And previous repars are very evident as well. I did check the transom, and ti seems to be in good shape, but do you have any in depth checks i should do to verify this?
Thanks!

bigredinohio

Chief Petty Officer

Glad to hear that link was helpful.

To check the transom, there are several things that I would do. First, if you access to the inside part of the transom, check to see if you have rusty bolts, motor mounts or rust stains from bolts. Any rust is a bad sign. Second, take a piece of string or a good long straight edge and run it across the transom horizontal. If the transom is bowed out, you're probably due for a new one. Another method is to do a bore test. To do so, drill the inside of your transom at different areas (being careful not to penetrate the outer fiberglass skin) and check the wood shavings to determine if its wet, rotted or good. If it's good, then you can take some resin and thickening agent such as cabosil and make some peanut butter and fill the hole back.

Lots of people talk about the tap test where you take a mallot or hammer and tap the back but I find this hard to determine since people tend to hear only what they want to hear. My transom was rotted and it sounded "solid", if you know what I mean.

Hope this helps again.

Lastly, be sure to post some pictures!