125 Force RIP!

tmyers921

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I have a 89 Force 125 (1251X9B),,,
I took it to a Marine Mech. at Webster Marine at Smith Mountain Lake in Va. to have them look at my Carbs.. The engine starts up fine but smells very rich. At WOT it has a miss. So I was thinking Carbs?

The Tech called me today and told me one of my pistons is bad. 125,125,25,120 is the compression on the cyl..

Is this worth saving or should I look for another used Motor. I have $2500 invested in the boat. 89 Capri that I turned into a Fishing Boat.

Any pointers? Know where a fellow could get another motor cheap?

Why does it still run?
Times are tough for us right now.
covingtonnissanhonda@gmail.com

Last edited:

foodfisher

Captain
Re: 125 Force RIP!

Fire your mechanic! #'s are ok. A decarb will probably raise them. Edit: Misread the 3rd 25 as 125. Belay my last.

Last edited:

tmyers921

Petty Officer 2nd Class

REALLY!!!
Can you tell me what to do with this. As I said, it runs, dies when shifting to N.

What would you recommend?

foodfisher

Captain

Sorry, out of my league on this one. There are some salty motorheads here that may chime in.

john from md

Commander

If you are mechanically inclined, it is not a big deal to fix this. If you are not, it is a very expensive fix.

John

Frank Acampora

Supreme Mariner

If yiou don't mind the ride to Pa. I'll rebuild it for you. If you do it yourself, you are looking at 250 for boring and parts. Well worth repairing and it is not difficult to do. Mostly hand tools. Search the forum for posts on rebuilding, a couple of others have done rebuilds with guidance from here and were well satisfied.

tmyers921

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Frank, Im not that far away and don't mine bringing it to you. What kind of cost would this be.

Thanks, Tim

cambosoup99

Seaman

well a rebuild kit is probably around 700.00. have your block machined 250.00

or try crowley marine rebuilt powerheads for about 1750.00. just bolt on your electrical and other parts. and break in.

Frank Acampora

Supreme Mariner

We are not supposed to solicit here on the forum and my last post was skirting the edge of the rule. However, I tried to send you a private message and was not able. SO send me a private message and I will give you a phone number or email. If you can not succede in PM me, try rejoining or renewing your profile.

Just remember that I don't rebuild for a living so we both make out better than if you went to a mechanic or dealer.