Will lawnmower battery start an 08 2 stroke?

FH alumni

Seaman Apprentice
I found a source for a new '08 2 stroke 25hp Yamaha. (need 2 stroke for weight going on a zodiac boat)

I have the choice between ele start or manual. I want to keep the boat portable and take the thing apart often so I am leaning towards the manual start as a series 24 or 27 battery can be a hassle. my 15hp that I am upgrading from is manual and does not pose a problem.

However, I was wondering if a smaller battery like that for a garden tractor would get it started? My lawnmower/tractor is 27hp and it starts fine with the small battery. If this would work I may spring for the ele start option as they are nice and a tractor battery is much smaller and lighter than a deep cell.

arks

Lieutenant Commander
Re: Will lawnmower battery start an 08 2 stroke?

Yes it will. I've used a lawnmower battery for the past 3 years to start my 25HP Evinrude.
I put it inside a group 27 battery box and added a keyed master disconnect on the outside. This allows me to lock off power to everything (except the bilge pump) when I'm away.

The extra space inside the box is also a handy place to stash a spare ignition key/float.