Gel Seal

Hooli

Seaman Apprentice
How much is too much Gel Seal? It squirted out the case halves and I can see a little line inside where it squirted out too, but it's not dripping or anything. Is this acceptable? It doesn't seem to dry very quickly and is still gummy after 2-3 days. Please advise.

Thanks.

mikesea

Lieutenant Commander
Re: Gel Seal

I usually went by color.What I would do,and was successful on the many powerheads I did while working for a rebuilder,put down a line,then using my finger tip ,i would dabspreading it out ,making little peaks ,that would mostly settle,if it was a lite pink ,it wasnt enough,I would want like a lite red ,not dark and not pink,using that procedure ,you can get a good sense of even distribution,as for the drying,its not supposed to dry until COMPRESSED.It will harden fine after you torque all your bolts down,do both halves ,it dot take alot,just a good even distribution on both halvesafter the parts are mated together,try and get as much of the pressed out gel from the inside,my belief is the stuff will eventually getdiluted with gas ,oil heat,but I like to be sure,it could be the very reason why they made a gel that only sets up with compression,any other kind of silicone/glue could be bad for moving parts,I never read anywhere about cauntions of the gel squeezing,I did look for that info,which made me conclude its not a big concern.good luck

nymack66

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: Gel Seal

How much is too much Gel Seal? It squirted out the case halves and I can see a little line inside where it squirted out too, but it's not dripping or anything. Is this acceptable? It doesn't seem to dry very quickly and is still gummy after 2-3 days. Please advise.

Thanks.
Be careful it could and will clog the re-circulating valves and its hoses, per the manual and common sense I recommend stay on the conservative side.