Bottles in the bin

jimchere

Petty Officer 1st Class
I'm driving with the wife and the boat in tow heading to the bay to launch. On a bumpy section of road doing about 30 I suddenly hear this awful glass noise, like bottles hitting each other. Wife looks at me and says "What's that?" Having just passed a house with garage door open (my window is rolled down) I quickly conclude "must have been someone in the garage of that house back there dumping his beer bottles in the recycling bin." About the time I finished that statement I hit another bump and hear the same noise. Stupid me finally pulls over and realize I didn't lock the motor up good and the skeg/prop was hitting the asphalt. That aluminum sounds like glass bottles when its dragging on asphalt. Oh well, other than a little grinding off the skeg and a ruined prop (was going to get a new one anyway) didn't really hurt anything. Since my motor isn't heavy enough for a transom saver (little 55hp) and my transom is really beefy, I use a bungee cord hooked to the locking arm wrapped around the motor so it stays locked.

LadyFish

Admiral
Re: Bottles in the bin

Yikes!!! :eek: Thank God I haven't done that yet (knock on wood).