We need an Eska faq

M

mrcrabs

I'm not an eska expert...only on the 1977 7.5 eska's and even then I'm sure I don't really know squat, but I have gone through mine from stem to stern and googled every thing and anything having to do with thing....but so many people are using them and asking questions that have been anwserd I wish there was a eska faq that would help us all find cheap decent fix's for our little trouble makers, just thinking out loud :)

Tom @ Buzzard Bluff

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: We need an Eska faq

I'm not an eska expert...only on the 1977 7.5 eska's and even then I'm sure I don't really know squat, but I have gone through mine from stem to stern and googled every thing and anything having to do with thing....but so many people are using them and asking questions that have been anwserd I wish there was a eska faq that would help us all find cheap decent fix's for our little trouble makers, just thinking out loud :)

I thoroughly agree! I've suggested the same thing before---perhaps even on this board---without any enthusiasm developing. I'd be glad to add my own small store of accumulated knowledge to a thread.

I often wonder just what axe they have to grind by the posters who habitually denigrate them. The truth is that they were a 'blue-collar' motor built to a price that a working stiff could often afford when the 'high-priced spread' was only a dream. As such they served a high purpose in my estimation as I've 'been there, done that' myself when I was a young, newly married father. The little motors run well and are extremely long-lived if given half a chance with some intelligent regular maintenance. Anyone capable of maintaining a lawnmower can repair one and keep it in service for a long time.

So what's not to like? Cheers, Tom @ Buzzard Bluff

JB

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

So. Johnsons don't have a FAQ, Evinrudes don't have a FAQ, Mercurys don't have. . . .etc, etc, etc.

You will be most welcome here if you answer what Eska questions do get posted, but I cannot, in 9 years, find any Eska question that is frequently asked.

M

mrcrabs

I was just thinking of a sticky for info on finding model no. places to get carb kits, ways to fix solid state ignition, information on impeller size, where to buy gaskets, oil mixtures etc. etc. etc.

you know those questions that are never asked very much...:confused:

Last edited:

asdasc

Senior Chief Petty Officer

So, are you really looking for a FAQ? or just to be listed as a brand like the Johnson Evinrudes and Mercury's are?

I have started to love my old Eska for what it is. It just keeps running, although it is far from smooth or quiet.

By the way, do you use outboard oil in the gas, or do you use the stuff for air cooled motors like chain saws and hedge trimmers?

M

mrcrabs

I use the same penzoil full synth that I use in my 70hp Johnson @50-1, My wife brought home some craftsman 40-1 mix bottles for the chainsaw and leaf blower last year and i did a sniff and look comparison with the penzoil and it sure looks and smells the same but I'm no chemist, My eska runs great on both and so does my saw, but I bet yeah that sears gets there oil from penzoil and them little bottles of 40-1 are synthetic.

Now as far as a faq...I was just thinking about everyone that post "what do I have and where can i find info on this model no.etc" that maybe some sort of a sticky with links to what we already know, then I and others would not feel so compelled to go look it up for them.EDIT

Last edited by a moderator:

JB

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

'Tell you what, Mrcrabs.

If you put together a post of those "Eska Secrets" that is well written I will be glad to sticky it here.