Jon Boat Trolling Motor Help!

flynnc88

Recruit
I have been wanting to put a bow mount, foot control trolling motor on my 12 foot lowe jon boat for a long time. I just don't know what i should get and what they make for boats of that size. If anyone has any ideas that would be very helpful

Thanks

Silvertip

Supreme Mariner
Re: Jon Boat Trolling Motor Help!

Not enough information. If the troller is the only means of propulsion that's one thing. If the boat has a gas motor too that's another. Other than that you look at the literature and web site for either Motor Guide or MinnKota. One thing is for sure. You don't need a 55# thrust motor but you can certainly put one if you want. On that size boat and on small lakes and ponds a 30# would be adequate. 45# would be more than adequate.

82mustang

Seaman

For a 12' boat, get the smallest motor. I wouldn't expect that you would need a 24v motor, then you need two batterys which adds that much more weight and takes up that much more room.

Here on I-Boats they have a selection of motors to choose from, but also check out places like walmart and local marina, price will vary as will the selection.

I've for a 14' with a 30 lb (transom not bow mounted) and in speed 1 forward its all I need. If your bow doesn't have a location, some treated plywood and self taping screws. All depends on your budget and how good you want things to look.

arks

Lieutenant Commander

Good info here- listen to what they say.
My 14' Lowe BigJon has a 36# Motorguide bow troller. It's 12 volt, has 5 speeds and is foot controlled. I think it's sized perfectly for the boat. I'll post a picture if you want to see it.

flynnc88

Recruit

I have a 9.9 honda gas motor for it. I also have a 28 thrust minn kota on the tansom but am wanting a foot controled bow trolling motor for it. I just don't know how it would connect to the from of my boat?

And sure i would love to check out some pics of your trolling motors on your jon boats

arks

Lieutenant Commander

To raise the mount up to the rubrail I used a short piece of 2" x 6" aluminium tubing.

Interior003.jpg

Silvertip

Supreme Mariner

The motor comes with mounting instructions. Both MotorGuide and Minnkota have installation kits that contain "Well Nuts" so you don't even need to reach under anything to install the motor.

flynnc88

Recruit

The only problem is mine doesn't have that big of a bow. It has a little lip and i don't have anywhere to mount it like in your picture..... I was wondering if they had one that mounted on the side rails or something??

This looks almost identical to what mine looks like stock....

Attachments

• 142436_102_pic.jpg
    142436_102_pic.jpg
    14.2 KB · Views: 0