Did I buy the wrong resin?

stephentyler20

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I looked in the how-to, and I understand the difference between laminating and finishing resin.

I bought laminating resin today for my smallish project (maybe 4-5 sq feet), but now I'm not sure if that's what I need. I intend to lay down 3-5 layers of CSM 1.5 oz, and I intend to do it all at once (i.e., resin, mat, resin, mat, resin, mat, etc.). Does that mean I should have gotten finishing resin, so that when I'm done, it will cure fully hard? Or do I want laminating resin so that I can add the consecutive layers?

I'm a bit confused as you can tell. Will finishing resin allow me to do multiple layers in one sitting (i.e., over the course of say 45 minutes to an hour), and then cure? Or is it literally resin/mat, sand, mat/resin, sand, mat/resin sand so that you're sanding for every single layer?

Much obliged.

SBTOM

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: Did I buy the wrong resin?

No, you got the right stuff. Laminating resin will cure out all of the way, just the very top surface will remain tacky... Finishing resin has a surfacing agent in it that would prevent the layers from sticking to each other. If you want to top layer to cure into a non-tacky surface, you could add surfacing agent to just that layer of resin, or you could spray PVA on it. The resin is essentially air-inhibited so you just need to cover it with something to get rid of the tack.

solar7647

Lieutenant Junior Grade

The differance between the two is finishing resin comes with surfacing wax to add to it or in some cases with the wax already in it. If you dont add the wax its laminating resin. For the resin to setup completly it needs to be seperated from the air, so when laminating its not an issue but with just laying fiberglass the wax needs added and as it sets up the wax comes to the surface to keep the air from it. You can do mult layers with finishing resin as long as they are all at the same time, because when finishing resin sets up the wax comes to the top so to add another layer of glass your will have to sand/grind that wax off to get to a clean surface to lay more glass.

you can also use laminating resin but will need to add wax on the last layer. so you may just need to buy a container of surfacing wax to add when you finish the glass off.

stephentyler20

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Alright I still don't get it (I know the differences between the 2) but I'm just going to use what I have and pick up some PVA or whatever to finish it off.

MTribe08

Senior Chief Petty Officer

Alright I still don't get it (I know the differences between the 2) but I'm just going to use what I have and pick up some PVA or whatever to finish it off.

You don't need PVA..I used Laminating Resin for my entire project..The resin will remain tacky for a bit longer when you paint it on the wood without glass..with Glass its pretty quick.

Chuck Gibson

Petty Officer 2nd Class

OK Folks,
I hate to chime in here sounding like a dummy, BUT, what is PVA?

I'm getting ready to start on a rebuild project of my own and this is one website that I wish had a glossery as a sticky thread. I have found that if I spend enough time I can finally figure it out but us newbees could use a glossery. Another good example is MEK or MEKP. I have now figured out what a DA sander is but the rest of this makes me feel like a DA!

Thanks!

SBTOM

Petty Officer 1st Class

Hahaha.... I like the DA joke. I can't claim to be an expert by any means, but I'll try and and throw out some answers for you.

PVA- Poly Vinyl Alcohol- used commonly as a mold release or to seal off a layer of resin or gel coat

MEK- Methyl Ethyl Keytone - you can use this to clean certain things. I avoid it whenever possible, but I do use it to "weld" certain plastics together. It can join two pieces of acrylic seamlessly, but seriously, this stuff will suck the paint off your house and give your family a permanent orange afro.

MEKP- Meth Ethyl Keytone Peroxide- you'll probably see this used as a catalyst

Mytribe is right, you don't really need to use a surfacing agent or PVA, but you might ending up saving on sanding disks (for the DA) if you don't gum up as many pads. I guess its all a matter of preference!

best of luck

solar7647

Lieutenant Junior Grade

OK Folks,
I hate to chime in here sounding like a dummy, BUT, what is PVA?

I'm getting ready to start on a rebuild project of my own and this is one website that I wish had a glossery as a sticky thread. I have found that if I spend enough time I can finally figure it out but us newbees could use a glossery. Another good example is MEK or MEKP. I have now figured out what a DA sander is but the rest of this makes me feel like a DA!

Thanks!

DA!! :DLOL:D thats funny...i know how you feel...keep going and you will find looking through the site you will get the info you seek, but to asnswer your questions

POLYVINYL ALCOHOL (PVA)?Water soluble release agent.

MEK PEROXIDE (MEKP)?Abbreviation for methyl ethyl ketone
peroxide; free radical source commonly used as initiator
for polyesters in FRP industry.

MEK (SOLVENT)?Abbreviation for methyl ethyl ketone; colorless
flammable liquid commonly used in spray gun clean
up procedures.

A link to the sticky
http://forums.iboats.com/showthread.php?t=288451

BobsGlasstream

Commander

Hello folks,
A quick search would answer all your questions, These topics have all been covered, but since you have gotten several answers, I'm going to add one more so people don't get confused anymore then they are.
Resin with wax can be used for multiple layers as long as they are all completed before the resin sets up. Once it has set up, you would need to sand to remove the surface and then wipe with acetone, then you could add more layers.
Either resin will work. The laminating resin is just less work if you don't get it all done at once.
The sticky previously listed will answer your questions.
My 2 cents worth
Bob

stephentyler20

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Hello folks,
A quick search would answer all your questions, These topics have all been covered, but since you have gotten several answers, I'm going to add one more so people don't get confused anymore then they are.
Resin with wax can be used for multiple layers as long as they are all completed before the resin sets up. Once it has set up, you would need to sand to remove the surface and then wipe with acetone, then you could add more layers.
Either resin will work. The laminating resin is just less work if you don't get it all done at once.
The sticky previously listed will answer your questions.
My 2 cents worth
Bob

Bob,

THIS is the answer I was looking for, and believe it or not, it's not listed in that sticky in that wording (it's much less clear). In that case, I'm going to return the laminating resin and get the finishing resin, and do it all in one sitting. I figure it shouldn't take me too long to do, so I should be able to get it done before it kicks.

jonesg

Admiral

Watch out for heat buildup, once the first layer starts to gel it will generate heat, if the layup gets hot enough it'll pucker and bubble from the gassing.

Rather than mixing one big batch of resin try 2 or 3 smaller batches to reduce the buildup of heat,

personally I'd use whatcha got already, it makes it much simpler.
I used a ton of resin on my rebuild, there isn't a drop of finish resin on the boat. I find a day in the sun fully cures it, dry to the touch, regardless.
Laminating resin is easier to paint too.

stephentyler20

Petty Officer 2nd Class

jonesg, thanks for the response... I have a followup question - is all laminating resin "air-inhibited"? If so, couldn't I just seal the part in plastic when I'm done to let it cure that way? I'm not sure how technically easy that would be, but it's potentially feasible.

Also, what about a general purpose resin - maybe I should try to find that?

ondarvr

Supreme Mariner

Don't over think it, there is no need to do anything to the surface, just leave it.

avimgod

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Don't over think it, there is no need to do anything to the surface, just leave it.

This man knows what he is talking about here...

If you still don't feel whole, get a box of saran wrap, and lay it over the entire area you have the resin on... the saran wrap will provide the air barier, can be rolled using the laminating roller to get teh air out, and will peel right off after the resin is cured! not to mention it only costs $1.50 and will more than cover your area, just lay it in multiple strips kind of like laying narow glass...

I have done this on small projects, the principle is the same as the waxed resin...

stephentyler20

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Guys, I'm starting to lean toward just using epoxy instead. West Systems products are in vast abundance at local stores. Their website has awesome instructions. It doesn't appear to be any more difficult to use (probably EASIER to mix with the mini pump), and it will work just as well. Also it would appear to fair and sand more easily, if not just because they provide clear instructions and products for doing so.

Anyone have objections?

ondarvr

Supreme Mariner

The two products are very similar in use, just a few details are different.

Epoxy has a blush (wax like substance) that comes to the surface as it cures and it should be removed before the next layer is applied, not unlike waxed resin and it will more difficult to sand and fair.

What is the project you're working on?

avimgod

Petty Officer 3rd Class

The two products are very similar in use, just a few details are different.

Epoxy has a blush (wax like substance) that comes to the surface as it cures and it should be removed before the next layer applied, not unlike waxed resin and it will more difficult to sand and fair.

What is the project you're working on?

I second this, and add there is also a difference in the full cure time...

I have to re-second what ONDARVR has already said with "Don't over think this"... you already have resin... and it WILL do what you need it to...

stephentyler20

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Alright so screw it, I'm sticking with what I got.

The project is to create a cosmetic fiberglass cap over my console, so I have a clean surface in which to install gauges.

The issue came up with whether to use mat or cloth, and others have suggested cloth. Should I use cloth? Both? How many layers?

erikgreen

Captain

For what you're doing, mat is fine (for poly resin). If you somehow switch to epoxy, then use cloth, or an epoxy-compatible mat (most are, but check).

Use as many layers as you need for the thickness you want... I'd recommend about a 3/16 thickness for your use. Just keep adding mat and squishing it down/wetting it out until you get the thickness you want.

If you've never done this before, practice a bit first.

Erik

BobsGlasstream

Commander

Well, I'm pretty sure you got your answer..:D
Post some Pic's, we love pic's.
Good luck on your project.
Bob