Stiff steering - how can I lube the cables?

I have a 1985 Johnson 175 on an 18.5' fiberglass bass/ski boat, having purchased the boat and engine about six months ago. The prior owner said he had replaced the steering cables about a year ago. My problem, if it is a problem, is heavy steering. I'm thinking that if I can lube the cables, it might ease the steering. But I can't figure out how to lube them, since I see no zerk fittings or other means of lubrication.

Attachments

• Boat steering 001a.JPG
    Boat steering 001a.JPG
    60.1 KB · Views: 2
  • Boat steering 002a.JPG
    Boat steering 002a.JPG
    55 KB · Views: 2
  • Boat steering 003a.JPG
    Boat steering 003a.JPG
    57.3 KB · Views: 2

cougar1985

Lieutenant Junior Grade
Re: Stiff steering - how can I lube the cables?

mine has a zerk on the through tube,might be that you could add one some where,s if you dont have one there.

ab1

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I've got a similar setup...93 150 on a 18.5'

I would describe mine as pretty stiff as well so you might not have an issue. I've found that if I'm on plane a small trim adjustment (up) relieves some of the weight and makes it a bit easier. I also adjusted the trim tab on my lower unit to the right slightly to counter what seems to be a slight pull to the right. The pulling made it seem extra stiff when turning left.

Subscribed for any input on how to grease/lube the cables as well in case it might help more.

cougar1985

Lieutenant Junior Grade

the zercs on the tilt tube are for the motor joint, not the steering. you have to pull the cable out of the tilt tube, and clean and lubricate the tilt tube. cable has no means of being lubricated. use this on tilt tube http://www.iboats.com/T-R-Marine-St...18270172--**********.333420671--view_id.40162

this needs to be done atleast once a year.
went out and looked at mine ,you are of course correct.i have i zerc at eack joint but are they sealed or would the grease get on to the shaft anyways?ive never used the gadget you had the link to and my steering is slick as can be.but i see from the pics that he has a differnt steering system if im correct its a dual?i remember i had a older boat a few years back that had a old merc on it and the cable had a zerk right on the large nut ,not merc im pretty sure and it was a pretty old steering system though it was still single cable.

emdsapmgr

Supreme Mariner

The only steering cables I know of that were made to be lubbed by the owner were the old Merc Ride-Guide cables. These had zurks right by the big nut, tapped directly to the inside of the cable. Most all other cables come pre-lubbed and are not made to be customer-serviced. Some investigation is in order on your part which should help determine any problem: It is worthwhile to double check the lash that is in the steering system. Since yours is dual cable setup, it is made to adjust for zero lash, yielding great, "tight" steering. If the lash was initially adjusted incorrectly (too tight-the steering effort can increase significantly as the cables/racks fight each other.) If you find the lash is adjusted properly, then I'd remove the link between the two aft cable ends, then go under the dash and remove one of the two racks. Rotate the steering wheel back and forth, checking for effort required. Tight or loose? Then reinstall that rack and remove the other one. Rotate the wheel again. You will quickly find out if one cable is binding in the casing.

cougar1985

Lieutenant Junior Grade

ok major brain freeze today!ive never greased the steering on this motor,i went out and looked and what i did when i put the motor on my boat was i lightly used neversieze on the steering shaft.note ,be very carefull around never sieze it has the ability to jump several feet on to a clean white shirt without warning and with deadly accuracey.the old ride glide must of been what i was thinking about in my previous post,i knew i wasnt dreaming on that one just wasnt too sure if it was a factory or aftermarket deal.

cougar1985

Lieutenant Junior Grade

The only steering cables I know of that were made to be lubbed by the owner were the old Merc Ride-Guide cable.blast it! how come i cant delete this mistake?could somebody delete this post ive seemed to have made a mess of this one.