Passenger Side Trailer Lights

sls33

Recruit
I own a 2007 Bass Tracker Pro 170TXW. The driver's side brake lights and turn signal on the trailer work fine. However, the passenger's side trailer's turn signal does not work at all and the brake light on that same side works intermittently (it wasn't working at all until I played with the turn signal bulb, which is the larger of the two in the housing...the other one is much smaller, by taking it out and firmly pushing it back into its receptacle). Sometimes when I tap on the rear passenger side of the trailer's frame near that side's light housing, the passenger's side trailer light itself and the light in front of the passenger side trailer tire (when the truck's headlights are turned on), will also go out. I can then get them to come back on after lightly tapping the trailer's frame again. It seems that both bulbs on the passenger's side work -- at least intermittently -- when the headlights are or when the brakes are depressed. It also seems to me like there's a short in the entire bulb housing itself, but I'm wondering if this is the problem or if there's another fix that I don't know about?

Thank you in advance!!

Silvertip

Supreme Mariner
Re: Passenger Side Trailer Lights

First you need to understand that the turn and brake light are the same filament in a dual filament bulb. The other filament is the dim tail (or running light). The small bulb is the side marker light. So -- if tapping the trailer fram makes the light work, you need to look for the bad ground or the bad connection in the brake/turn lamp circuit. The brown wire going into the light is the running light. The other wire is the stop/turn signal. Next, make sure you do not have the bulb inserted wrong. Yes -- the bulb is keyed so it can only go in one way, but the socket is built so sloppy that people can and do force the bulb in wrong. Hold the bulb in front of you with the little prongs facing right-left. Note that one is higher than the other. Now look carefully at the socket. and the two lead contacts on the bulb and the socket. Get the bulb in right. The light housing usually grounds to the trailer frame with one of the mounting bolts or there is a white wire coming from the lamp that must be bolted to the trailer frame -- typically with one of the lamp mounting bolts. Clean this connection. Looking at it is not an option. If that doesn't fix the problem, check the wires going into the lamp and their connection inside the lamp. Sometimes these wires are stripped on the ends and the bare wire pushed into a makeshift connection inside the lamp. Poor design. Fix it if necessary. If all this fails, make sure the connection at the trailer connector is clean and tight.

boat1010

Senior Chief Petty Officer
Re: Passenger Side Trailer Lights

Probably 90% of trailer light problems are the ground. The path for the electricity to get back to the battery is through the frame of the trailer. So check all the grounds and clean up and tighten all the ground connections. Oh and if that doesn't work.. Check the ground... Best of luck. Sometimes they can be a bear. Just make sure you check the ground..:D