Preload Shaft Spring

hollobaugha

Recruit
I have a 1985 60 hp Mercury and I recently replaced the impeller. I was look at a diagram of the drive shaft and it shows a pre-load compression spring at the top of the drive shaft where it goes into the power head. The pin is on my drive shaft but I did not see a spring when I took it apart. I looked in the housing and did not see a spring in there as well. I have tried to get one several places but the part (20254) is NLA. Could the spring still be in the head? If it is not is it really needed because I am guessing it has been running without one for 100+ hrs since the last impeller I put in it. Any Idea on where to get one or a resonable replacement?

RLT III

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Re: Preload Shaft Spring

The pin that is in the top of the drive-shaft has a spring under it, with the lower unit off you can push it down with your hand (tough to do) or tap with a hammer and you should feel the springing action, don't see why you would need to replace it though.

I had got a lu with pin broke off and i drilled it out and replaced it but still used the same spring
hope that helps

hollobaugha

Recruit

Thanks for the info. From the diagram it looked like the spring was over the pin not under it. Must be bad diagram or my bad Eyes.

RLT III

Petty Officer 2nd Class

no there just tough to break down sometimes and it seems the more you look at it the worse it gets LOL