Possible water in fuel?

kenvollers

Cadet
I have a 1985 Bayliner Capri with an 85hp Force outboard. This past winter my boat stayed moored at the dock down in the lake, and I underwent back surgery so I didn't think to check on it for a while. When I finally did, I found my automatic bilge pump's floater had been clogged up by some leaves and the entire seating area was pretty well flooded, in fact it's a miracle she didn't sink. I'm dealing with the floors, seats and other cosmetic issues currently, but I haven't run the motor yet, and I don't want to until I service it and make sure everything is copacetic. Now, some guy down at the dock warned me that I should make sure there isn't water in the fuel before I start it up, so I intend to drain the gas tank and refill it with fresh gas. But can anyone recommend the best fuel additive type or brand to use to ensure any water left behind is taken care of?

foodfisher

Captain
Re: Possible water in fuel?

Filter that seperates water from fuel as soon as possible after tank and before fuel pump

john from md

Commander

Due to the issues with E10, I recommend a filte also. Get a water separating filter with the see through bottom on it. This is the best way to deal with the problem.

John

jerryjerry05

Supreme Mariner

FIRST!!!Unhook the fuel line and hang it into a bucket.Then squeeze the ball and start the flow.Then let it run.Check it and see if there is water in the bucket.
If there is,let it flow, it should remove the water first. After the gas starts comming out stop it and then install a water/gas seperating filter.
Then boat stove alcohol(not rubbing alcohol) 1/2 gal added to the tank will absorb the rest of the water.Any good marine store should have the stove alcohol.Boat US, West Marine etc.J

jak160

Cadet

I would say a can of Sea Foam , and let it sit for a day or two with about 2 to 3 gallons of gas and then drain, it should get rid of the water and any sediment you might have in the tank. Then add a fuel stabilizer to make sure if there is any gas left in the tank it will take care of that. The fuel water seperator filter with some inline gas filters are a good idea too.

themancmt

Recruit

why not just use dry gas? i had some water get into my gas tank while i was in the middle of swaping out the fuel sending unit and she fired right up after puting that dry gas in there.

jerryjerry05

Supreme Mariner

Dry gas is good but the alcohol works better and cheaper.J

ENSIGN

Lieutenant Junior Grade

No matter what you put in the tank if theres water in there it will still be in there ! Pump out the tank and install a water separator.