Oil where it shouldn't be

brhodes

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Rookie boater, so sorry for the dumb question:confused:.
I have downloaded and read the service manual (thanks Don), looked through a bunch of old posts, but can't find what exactly the input shaft seal is. I pulled my outdrive and found oil in the bellows. From reading the winterizing thread, I know this probably means I need to replace the input shaft seal, but I can't find that in the manual. A side question, is the sludge around the shift cable normal? I didn't clean anything prior to photo. Thanks for any help, this will be the first of many posts to document the stupidity all who know me will confirm.

1986 Chris Craft Scorpion
5.7 Merc
Alpha One Drive

Attachments

• Drive1a.jpg
    Drive1a.jpg
    110.1 KB · Views: 0
  • Drive2a.jpg
    Drive2a.jpg
    117.4 KB · Views: 0
  • Drive4a.jpg
    Drive4a.jpg
    111 KB · Views: 0

fuzzybob

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: Oil where it shouldn't be

Welcome to iboats.
Have you downloaded the manual for your outdrive?

brhodes

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Yes, see above. I looked...............multiple times for a seal called the "input shaft seal", and searched for it in pdf. I'm sure I'm looking right past it, but I'm stumped. Thanks for the reply though. This place is great, and as I said, been lurking for a long time, just waited to join/post.

Fishermark

Vice Admiral

It is simply the seal in the outdrive that seals the drive shaft. See #29 below:

(See whole thing here )

643_2.jpg

Aviator5

Chief Petty Officer

From the pictures it looks like your shift shaft seal is leaking too. I would replace it too, while it is all apart.

brhodes

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Shift shaft seal being the large seal over the whole mating surface. The bellows look good, so this would be the likely way for water to intrude.. Thanks all.

Fishermark

Vice Admiral

Shift shaft seal being the large seal over the whole mating surface.

Just don't confuse things.... the shift shaft seal is something different altogether. The upper seal that you are describing is not the same as the shift shaft seal.

boat4fun83

Seaman Apprentice

I have the same thing. I found oil in my bellows. Is there any harm in just making sure the oil reservoir is full? It takes about 6 months for it to go down 1 cm or so. Sorry not trying to take over your post, but maybe you won't have to do all the work.