If it starts should i still check compression

starcraftstriper

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Yall are all going to give me crap. But the guy im buying this motor from dosent want me doing all this stuff it was hard enough to get him to start it. So should i definetly check the compression or should it being started good enough

boat1010

Senior Chief Petty Officer
Re: If it starts should i still check compression

If it starts and sounds good I really don't see a reason to check the compression. Unless you have a reason to believe there is something wrong with it. BUT I would be a little cautious if he is reluctant on doing things you want to make sure everything is OK. Buyer beware..

starcraftstriper

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Yea he said he didnt want to start it because he dosent know much about it. All he knows is it ran last year. He told me that if i knew enough about it to start it then i was more then welcome too.

boat1010

Senior Chief Petty Officer

Not sure what it is you are getting or the cost but if you don't know much about it I would take it to someone that does, even if it costs me a little money. Nothing you can do if you get it and it doesn't run or something wrong with it. If he won't let you do that I would say so long and thanks but no thanks. We have heard of WAY too many times that it wasn't checked out and found problems. So unless you are willing to take "what you get" I would let it go. Just my two cents worth..

NelsonQ

Lieutenant

Yea he said he didnt want to start it because he dosent know much about it. All he knows is it ran last year. He told me that if i knew enough about it to start it then i was more then welcome too.

So the question is why does he have an issue if you know how, to add a compression gauge on it to check the compression.

An engine with poor compression across the board or even in one cylinder will start.

If its cheap, and not a lot of out of pocket money, you may want to risk it, supposing you part it out if compression is an issue.

But if paying market or around market value, as the buyer, I'd do whatever made me feel comfortable with parting with my money.

From what you said, I'd check the compression first.

starcraftstriper

Petty Officer 3rd Class

I really dont think he would want anyone to take his motor. Like how do yall take someones motor and get it checked? IS the person fine with you bringing it back in an hour or what?

starcraftstriper

Petty Officer 3rd Class

So the question is why does he have an issue if you know how, to add a compression gauge on it to check the compression.

An engine with poor compression across the board or even in one cylinder will start.

If its cheap, and not a lot of out of pocket money, you may want to risk it, supposing you part it out if compression is an issue.

But if paying market or around market value, as the buyer, I'd do whatever made me feel comfortable with parting with my money.

From what you said, I'd check the compression first.

Well its a good price its a 40 horse power johnson with vro year unknown it comes with everything controls and all

ondarvr

Supreme Mariner

If you don't know the year, then there's no way to say if its a good deal or not. I wouldn't risk $800.00 when you don't even know the year.

Post the model number and people here can tell you what year it is.

All motors ran well at some time in the past and this is a frequent statement when there are problems that the owner may not be able to identify, or just doesn't want to reveal.

starcraftstriper

Petty Officer 3rd Class

The thing is there is barley any motors near me that are what i need other than a 40hp force. I will take pictures and the model number and post it tonight

Huron Angler

Admiral

I really dont think he would want anyone to take his motor. Like how do yall take someones motor and get it checked? IS the person fine with you bringing it back in an hour or what?

Normally you'd buy/borrow a compression tester($30 at auto parts stores) and bring it with you to test the cylinders at the seller's house.

Look for the cylinders to read within 10-15% of each other as a good reading.

I agree, not likely to let you take the OB with you unless you give him $800.

starcraftstriper

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Im taking the tester and will have more info on the OB when i get home it is 100 miles away from me

Home Cookin'

Fleet Admiral

I bought a great 20+ year old 70 that started (after 2 years sitting outside) and has good compression. However, I am still throwing money at chasing an electrical short, that only shows up after you have run for a while and at higher speeds. or in snowstorms.

With outboards--or anything with boats--anything can happen and all of it is expensive to fix, especially the more tries at it.

I think $800 on a 40 is right high, under these circumstances. have you tried around Richmond? Gaston?

You might find one attached to a boat, buy the rig, take the motor off, then sell the boat and trailer. I did.

Moody Blue

Captain

I'd be very cautious about that deal. Ideally you want to see it running, better yet on a boat IN the water. Without a compression test at least, I'd walk away. Be sure to get the model year before you commit.

Also check the condition of the lower unit oil.

Water means a seal leak somewhere that has to be fixed. Metal chunks/chips means scrap (metal dust is normal). Super clean oil means its just been changed and is hiding something. Call me suspicious but there are lots of shady characters out there waiting to steal your hard earned money :(

Lion hunter

Lieutenant Commander

It all comes down to whether you can lose 800. When you buy without a complete check expect the worst. And it amazes me that people sell stuff for that price and can't even swing a picture in the add.

JB

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

If he is resisting proving the outboard is in good order DON'T BUY IT.

ezmobee

Supreme Mariner

$800 isn't exactly a screaming deal if it's an older motor. So I'd want to check it out as best I could.