Got a new to me tow vehicle

ezmobee

Supreme Mariner
I just bought this last night http://www.autotrader.com/fyc/vdp.j...on=&max_price=15000&cardist=76&standard=false

2005 Jeep Grand Cherokee. So far we absolutely love it. Got the 4.7 V8. Should tow my 18' Starcraft with ease. It's our first real SUV. We had a Pacifica crossover for a little bit that we really loved and that's what we were originally looking for this time. However we decided to go with something that was a little more stout of a tow vehicle.

For some strange reason it did not come with a hitch. I'm surprised they made any V8 models with no hitch. I'm considering trying to get an OEM hitch setup installed if it won't set me back too much. Anyone know if I'll have to add a tranny cooler as well or if it already has one.

Silvertip

Supreme Mariner
Re: Got a new to me tow vehicle

If it doesn't have a hitch it probably doesn't have the trailering package so other than the in-radiator tranny cooler it probably doesn't have one. Probably doesn't have the trailer harness either.

Philster

Captain

Have a Class III hitch, wiring harness and heavy-duty transmission cooler (recommended for up to 5,000 lb towing) installed at a hitch place or place that does a fair amount of work on trucks. U-Haul does good work in most areas. Should cost about 375 bucks installed.

Important info --- If the actual rating on that truck is up near/over 6,000 lbs: stay away from the dealer and UHAUL and seek an aftermarket place that will stick a Class IV hitch on it and a heavy duty trans cooler with a fan.

Do not go to the dealer unless they are the only reputable place and if you are rated at 5k lbs or less. The job is easy, and going to the dealer for OEM stuff would probably result in you paying more money for equipment that is equal (or possibly inferior ) to aftermarket truck parts.

_

NYBo

Admiral

Good choice!

I bought genuine Mopar Class III hitches for my Pacifica and Dakota. They were about the same price as aftermarket hitches from Hidden Hitch, etc.

CAVU V

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Drophitch.com has some great prices.

ezmobee

Supreme Mariner

Looks like the ad came down. This is what it looks like (this is an identical one)

1J4HR48N45C690528-1.jpg

JaseBosto

Petty Officer 1st Class

If your mechanically inclined, install the cooler, and hitch yourself along with the harness. It's almost idiot proof as far as I am concerned. Only thing you can really f up is running the wrong tranny line through the cooler meaning that you run the line comming from that tranny vs. the return line to the tranny.
Let me clarify: IF you install the transmission external cooler yourself, you MUST install it in the line that returns fluid TO the transmission.

They come with instructions so.....usually pretty easy. I installed my own cooler and if I remember correctly(instructions explain), the return line is the bottom line. There is 2 transmission fluid lines that run into the tranny.

teamrevo

Cadet

You still have to go to the dealer to have the trailer wiring adapter activated. Search around on the Jeep forums and you will find the info needed. I have an 05 Hemi Jeep and tow a 21' Trophy no problem. The OEM hitch is a Class IV.

Rwebber77

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Great choice! I have an '05 WK 5.7 and it doesn't even grunt pulling my 19' Sea Ray. Is this your first Jeep ever? They are VERY temperamental.

CheapboatKev

Vice Admiral

That is sooo sweet..Like I told ya we looked at those before getting the Nissan Frontier..

Not being a cheapskate..But do you really need a tranny cooler for towing the Starcraft?

jkust

Rear Admiral

Nice choice. I know you had your mind on another Pacifica but i'm glad to see you got something more robust. What happened to the Trailblazers and Rainiers? I don't know anyone who doesn't like their Jeep. I liked them when I shopped since the interiors are more refined but they always held their resale too much in the used market by comparison to the TB's and Rainiers. I'll be curious to hear how the smaller V8 tows. I know several Hemi owners in trucks/Jeeps and they can't say enough about em.

ezmobee

Supreme Mariner

We're very hapy with the decision to get the Jeep. This particular one has a number of the nifty features we liked on our Pacifica like the DVD system and moonroof but with loads more power. I was looking mostly at Trailblazers and Rainiers but was never overly excited about one. A friend of mine has a TB which I drove once. There was nothing wrong with it but nothing that really impressed me. One day last week my wife said she likes the GC's and I was like hmmm I totally forgot about them. So I started looking at them and really liked the newer style ones. Found this one with Nav and DVD for a similar price to most comparable ones without that stuff. Believe it or not I didn't even notice it had the V8! My wife did and then I knew I had to go check it out. It does get staggeringly bad gas mileage though. We're getting like 15 overall. They should really have more than a 20 gallon tank in there for that kind of MPG.

mike64

Lieutenant Junior Grade

Congrats! I have an 11 year old Jeep Cherokee and I love it. Yeah, the mileage is the biggest drawback-- even with the 4.0 straight 6 I have. I bought it back when gas was cheaper than bottled water, and now I wince every time gas goes up.

.... Is this your first Jeep ever? They are VERY temperamental.

Do you mean the Grand Cherokees, Rwebber? Because my Cherokee Sport has been like a tank, up until the last year-- after 150G miles it's starting to show its age.

Rwebber77

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Do you mean the Grand Cherokees, Rwebber? Because my Cherokee Sport has been like a tank, up until the last year-- after 150G miles it's starting to show its age.

I certainly do! That 4.0L you have is a bulletproof engine. When the ignition switch on mine first started going out the dash lights would all light up like a x-mas tree, rpm and mph gauges went to zero, and then everything went back to normal. Quite frightening at 70mph...

jkust

Rear Admiral

They should really have more than a 20 gallon tank in there for that kind of MPG.

Agreed, our Rainier had way too small a tank as well and we get 14ish or under with the 5.3 liter. Funny thing to me though is even with the bad mileage I can't believe the midsized SUV's are dying out as much as they are. We are late adopters of the SUV but they are just a treat to drive especially with a V8. If my business (and every single client I have) weren't in jeopardy due to health care reform, i'd consider replacing the minivan with another SUV. Keep us posted on how it eventually tows.

Huron Angler

Admiral

They should really have more than a 20 gallon tank in there for that kind of MPG.

I agree...my Explorer holds aout 22 gal and it still can't get farther than 400 miles per tank. Sometimes its nice to not have to worry about getting gas every time you pass a station.

For pulling the SS in mountains I'm sure you will feel better having the cooler, for local trips it would probably be fine as long as you drive reasonable speeds.

My '87 Jeep(actually AMC, remember the old 4x4 Eagles? ;)) held up very well. Got it up to 200k and still sold it for 1k and it needed work. I still miss that thing:D

So...are you going to pull the DVD player out and throw it in the SS?:p

windsors03cobra

Lieutenant Junior Grade

Aha those old Eagles, was that like a Jeep with a wagon body ?
Anyway that new green Jeep is very nice and I also love the color. I bet the interior is fabulous if it has sat nav it sounds pretty premium.

Enjoy. :cool:

JaseBosto

Petty Officer 1st Class

You absolutely need that cooler, and your a fool if you don't put it in.
Even if you never tow, a transmission cooler is a great idea. You will get prolonged life from that thing.

Jeep Man

Commander

You absolutely need that cooler, and your a fool if you don't put it in.
Even if you never tow, a transmission cooler is a great idea. You will get prolonged life from that thing.

Easy to install yourself. For my old CJ, I went to the wreckers and got the biggest that would fit, out of a HD Chevy I think. Used high pressure reinforced rubber lines and double clamped each end. Has worked for years. Cheap tranny protection.