Help! Can I use a Mercruiser quicksilver 10pin controller on my Mariner 90HP 8pin??

bzajdek

Seaman
I have already purchased a quicksilver 10 pin controller new on Ebay, I would like to splice the connections to my 8pin Mariner. Its the same controller with the push key to choke, but has to extra wires. My 8pin has a 4 wire cable just for trim tilt but the 10 pin has trim up and trim down wires, I guess I would just use a splice to get power and ground from the 8 pins:confused:I don't know! My neutral button is gone and rusted and I'm afraid to take apart the new controller, even my marine mechanic doesn't want to take the insides out of the new controller. I have found this link to mercruiser wiring codes
http://www.boatfix.com/merc/Servmanl/16/16F4R2.PDF
Can anyone help if this is possible??
Thanks a million

Chris1956

Supreme Mariner
Re: Help! Can I use a Mercruiser quicksilver 10pin controller on my Mariner 90HP 8pin

The easiest way to know is to get a wiring diaghram for each and make a cross connection table. Mercruisers have a powered ignition wire, which your OB does not, but there are some other differences as well. The connection table will tell you how to do it, and i think it will work.

bzajdek

Seaman
Re: Help! Can I use a Mercruiser quicksilver 10pin controller on my Mariner 90HP 8pin

thankyou the link i posted has the mercruiser wiring diagram but they aren't exactly similar as I have 2 CDI boxes, thats where i am nervous.

Chris1956

Supreme Mariner

The real difference is that the outboard grounds the switchboxes to kill the spark. It never puts any voltage on the switchboxes. The MerCruisers normally put power on the ign module to have them produce spark. They remove spark to kill the motor.

bzajdek

Seaman

Actually I'm wondering if it is a mercruiser control or just a Mercury 10 pin, its a commander 2000 side mount with the tach wires comming out of the front, not the back like mine and the 10 pin and wiring color differences, I am thinking about removing the throttle arm and see if I can get the neutral button to move easier. I am not sure what to do right now