Carb/Motor help

bthomas

Recruit
1985 40 hp Mariner twin carb

Where to start? a few weeks ago i was going fishing so i cranked the motor in the driveway and ran excellent. so i took it to the lake and it didnt want to crank in the water, when i got it cranked it bogged down after a little bit and died at idle. so i took it back and cleaned the carbs with spray and took it out again and did the same thing. so again i took the carbs apart and used spray and air compressor this time. i again took it out to the lake and it cranked/idled and ran good, but as i put it back in idle after running for a bit, it died once again.... i noticed an abnormal amount of gas in the water from where i guess i flooded the carbs. by this time i quit messing with the motor for a couple weeks. Well the other day i was deciding to mess with it again and i noticed gas POURING out of the bottom carb(not the throat, a hole on the side/top) when i was pumping the bulb. from what ive read its my neadle/seat/float thats messed up? My question is... would this cause me to die at idle? and why would my motor run and then just die at idle... why wouldnt it just not run in the first place?

crem1

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: Carb/Motor help

Sounds like you have to take the carbs off the powerhead, dismantle it, and then soak everything in solvent. Get a new carb kit

bthomas

Recruit
Re: Carb/Motor help

yea i've just orderd the carb kit yesterday. waiting for it as we speak. However do you think its the float that was causing me to die at idle and not while i was running?