Legal requirements

Bullet Six

Cadet
Hey Everyone, this is my first post here. I just joined the forums because I am about to buy a boat this weekend. It is a 16' 1990 Thunder Craft that is in pretty good condition. My question is, what do I have to do paper-work wise to make everything legal for the water and the road?

I live in Maryland and I am buying the boat from someone in Virginia. I know that different states have different laws regarding having a title for the boat and trailer.

rjwoodrome

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: Legal requirements

Welcom to the forum. Buying a boat, as any vehicle can be an adventure at the very least.:rolleyes:. I recomend you go to your local DMV the info person can give you all the forms your out of state owner needs to sign. it's a long trip back to get corrections. if you get a nice info preson they will even highlite the areas to fill out.. Good Luck :cool: Let us know how it goes

Bullet Six

Cadet

Welcom to the forum. Buying a boat, as any vehicle can be an adventure at the very least.:rolleyes:. I recomend you go to your local DMV the info person can give you all the forms your out of state owner needs to sign. it's a long trip back to get corrections. if you get a nice info preson they will even highlite the areas to fill out.. Good Luck :cool: Let us know how it goes

Will do. Thank you! Would it be a bad idea to post some pictures of the boat and the asking price just to make sure im not getting ripped off? This will be my first boat, and im not so sure on boat values.

Jakebob

Seaman

Will do. Thank you! Would it be a bad idea to post some pictures of the boat and the asking price just to make sure im not getting ripped off? This will be my first boat, and im not so sure on boat values.

Sure, but don't forget to post your location and EVERY detail that you know about the boat. There are way too many variables that go to price without all of the info.

Bullet Six

Cadet

It has new lower unit water pump and lower engine water pump, battery, alternator, transom kit, and thermostat. It comes with trailer. It looks like the seats are slightly cracked, but maybe only a couple. All in all it looks and seems pretty well maintained from what I can tell...but then again what he heck do I know :rolleyes:

I live in Maryland and the seller lives in Virginia. I can take it home for $2000. What do you guys thing?

Also they said the boat was in the water once this season and they want to sell so they can upgrade.

chKNU.jpg

oAsRP.jpg

OWEJU.jpg

5QfhY.jpg

Silvertip

Supreme Mariner

Before you leave or hand over any money, make darned sure the seller is the registered owner and than he can hand over the title (in his/her name). Way too many folks either don't have any proof of ownership or they have titles that were never transferred. A promise that I'll send you the paperwork is not an option as they rarely do. So get your ducks in a row before you leave. In some states a title is needed for the boat and trailer and if an outboard, the engine may need one as well (although not in your case since it's an I/O). I would also insists on an on-water test while you observe the instrument panel for normal oil pressure, volt meter above 13 volts, and normal operating temperature.