Windshield Replacement

wellcraft mc

Recruit
Hi, fellow boaters, could really use your help and knowledge with this one. I uncovered my 1985 248 wellcraft sportsman last weekend to find both front glass panels were shattered, probably due to extreem wieght of all of the snow we have had. Anyway i would like to replace the whole windshield frame and all, not just the glass. I tried calling talor made with about a 12 week lead time and a 3500.00 price tag for a custom made unit which is not an option. any info on a used unit in good shape orold stock would be really appreciated. thanks, Mike EDIT

Last edited by a moderator:

Bob_VT

Moderator & Unofficial iBoats Historian
Staff member
Re: Windshield Replacement

Welcome to iboats.

The windshields will give you a heart attack when you find out the prices and it is insane.

Did you have insurance on the boat? I have actually seem boats totaled by insurance companies due to replacement windshield cost.

If you have a glass place near you ....... I would consult with them on the best repair or replacement. Wow, sorry to hear about the winter damage.

I am guessing it is not flat glass?

RWilson2526

Master Chief Petty Officer

If the frames are intact, like Bob says you could hopefully get replacement glass or at least some plexi to temporarily get you going....that was a pretty popular boat back in the day, would start scouring marinas and craiglist and such and see if you can find used one off of scrapped hull....might take you a year to find one but I bet you will eventually.

RWilson2526

Master Chief Petty Officer

nice work.....that sure looks like it too.....wouldnt be surprised if Wellcraft used the same windshield from the 23 to the 25.

G

nice work.....that sure looks like it too.....wouldnt be surprised if Wellcraft used the same windshield from the 23 to the 25.

I also had a broken windshield one section when I contack Taylor I was told 900 dollars so I send the invoice to my insurance company who forward me a check then taylor called and said it would be 1800 hundred SORRY bouth that Don't deal with TAYLOR

NHGuy

Captain

Great Lakes Skipper has quite a few Taylor and other windshield assemblies in stock. If you know your base dimensions you can choose. Also you could measure off your boat and the start scouring the salvage yards.