What is it?

rgashkei

Recruit
Last fall someone donated this boat to our scout group, the engine was seized and the electrical was a mess. I got it fixed up, took it for a trip around the lake before winter and it ran great. I was hoping someone could tell me what year it is. I have google searched and can't really find any info.
Thanks

Attachments

• F1.jpg
    F1.jpg
    42.5 KB · Views: 0
  • F2.jpg
    F2.jpg
    58.2 KB · Views: 0
  • F3.jpg
    F3.jpg
    38.7 KB · Views: 0

1946Zephyr

Vice Admiral
Re: What is it?

The motor is a 72 - 73 model, depending on your model number.:cool:

Welcome to iBoats;)

jay_merrill

Vice Admiral

The hood appears to be from a '72 Johnson 65hp, hydro-electric shift motor. This can be confirmed by looking at the plaque that is on the front of it. If it says "50th Anniversary Series," that's what it is.

I am not completely sure that's what the rest of the motor is, however, because the paint on it, appears to be Forest Green and the '72 model has a lighter color green. You may actually have an earlier 60hp or 55hp model.

If the motor is a '72, the model number on the data plate should be J65ES72 or J65ESL72. The ES model is a 15" shaft length, while the ESL is a 20" shaft length.

Next on the list of items to check, will be the ignition system. The '72 model has a magneto CD ignition system, which uses a stator, timer base, powerpack and three ignition coils. The older system is a battery CD system, with a stator, base plate, points, rotor, distributor, an amplifier and one ignition coil. The most obvious visual differences between the two, are the powerpack v. the amplifier and the coils. If you see three coils and a rectangular powerpack on the starboard side of the motor, with 11 wires attached (6 on rear side, 5 on front side), its a '72. If there is a square amplifier and one coil, its older than a '72.

Model numbers for a '71 60hp model would be J60ES71C, J60ES71C, J60ESL71C and J60ESL71E. A 1970 J60 would be J60ES70B, J60ES70D, J60ESL70B or J60ESL70D. If the motor is, indeed, a hydro-electric shift, the only other possibility would be a 1969 55hp, which would be a J55ES69A, a J55ES55C, a J55ESL69A, or a J55ESL69C.

Just to make things fun, there's another possibility. You might have a '73 model that has been painted Forest Green. The tip-off on that is that such a motor would be hydro-mechanical shift and have two control cables and a wire bundle, rather than just one control cable (throttle) and a wire bundle. The Johnson hydro-electric control units also say that on them, making identification pretty easy.

PS (READ FIRST): I just "right clicked" you photo and loaded it into a photo editor. I then pushed the exposure up enough to get a better view of the paint color - its the 1972 version. So, now you know all sorts of trivia about the 1969 - 1973 Johnson "triples," but probably have a 1972 model! I'll leave this unedited, because the info may help someone else with an identifcation issue. :D

PS #2: A second look makes me think that the hood is from a '73 model. The black section looks like it had a placard glued there, which the '72s don't have. I think you are missing the Seahorse logo placard. Check the engine for two cables - one for throttle and one for shift. If it has them, the motor is hydro-mechanical and its more than likely a '73.

???

rgashkei

Recruit

Thanks for all the info, muchly appreciated. Next time I am at the farm I will check the options you gave me and let you know.