Stripped outdrive mounting studs

SSSuper83

Petty Officer 2nd Class
When I got the outdrive off the other day (Merc 898)...2 of the mounting studs were stripped. Is this as straightforward as swapping them out or is there something holding them in (adhesive, etc)?? I'm a lil worried about the bellhousing and whether or not I will tear up the threads in that too..

I really dont like previous owners anymore.

cr2k

Captain
Re: Stripped outdrive mounting studs

You should be able to remove them. But you will probably need some heat. Like an acetylene torch not a propane one.

SSSuper83

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Thats what I was thinking...but i am always leery of heating aluminum for sure. I will give it my best shot anyway though, thanks.

Bondo

Staff member

Ayuh,... Heat the Stud, Not the housing...

JustJason

Vice Admiral

Bondo said:
Ayuh,... Heat the Stud, Not the housing...

Curious as to why you would say that Bill. Don't you want to make the hole bigger? And not make what's in the hole bigger? If you heat the bolt, technically your makeing the bolt tighter in the hole. I've always heated around a bolt, but not the bolt itself.

Bondo

Staff member

Curious as to why you would say that Bill. Don't you want to make the hole bigger? And not make what's in the hole bigger? If you heat the bolt, technically your makeing the bolt tighter in the hole. I've always heated around a bolt, but not the bolt itself.

Ayuh,... I take it to mean that 2 of the 6, 7/16ths" studs are Stripped...
If so,... Heating the steel studs should break free the corrosion, allowing them to be turned out...
You can't Overheat the studs, but even a propane touch will turn aluminum to a puddle..
In theory, you'd be right, but metal expands with heat, in ALL directions,..
So the holes still get smaller,+ the studs larger...

Btw,... I should have mentioned,.. I always Heat,+ Quench,... I never try to turn things Still Hot...

JustJason

Vice Admiral

Ahhh that makes perfect sense when written like that, I agree on the quenching to, especially with aluminum, you don't want to take the threads out along with that stud.
Top of the Mornin to ya Bill!! :)

To the OP, make sure you use a stud removal tool, and get new studs + bolts from Mercury. You probably wont find the correct stainless steel studs at home depot.

Bondo

Staff member

Top of the Mornin to ya Bill!!

Ayuh,... Right back at ya Jason,...
I'm off to Old Town today,... The annual scratch,+ dent sale is tomorrow mornin'...

Gonna stop and see StarsnStripes saturday...
Rest of the weekend will be on Chemo pond...
See ya here, next Wednesday or so...;)

JustJason

Vice Admiral

Have a fun and safe trip my friend!!