1980 5hp johnson

marquette

Petty Officer 1st Class
hi
had anybody ever seen a 1980 5hp johnson? a dealer here has one for sale and i can't find any information on it. it looks like 4.5 hp Deluxe. a more boxy power head than the 6hp. it has F-N-R. it has an internal tank and the duel fuel supply switch for an external tank. it does not have thru hub exhaust. i should have pulled the cowling when i was there to see what kind of ignition it had but i just thought i would be easily able to find information on it like the 4.5 or 6hp.

Joe Reeves

Supreme Mariner
Re: 1980 5hp johnson

There will be a model number on it. What is that number?

marquette

Petty Officer 1st Class

i hope to get back up to the dealer on saturday and check the model number. i'll decode it and see if it is really a 5hp and the exact year. since i didn't find any listing for a 5hp for that year i was just checking to see if anybody knew if there was some limited edtion or something out there that there isn't much info about. my thinking is it is going to decode as a 4.5hp. it's at a pretty reliable dealer so if it is a 4.5 i think it would be a listing mistake not an intentional deception

marquette

Petty Officer 1st Class

i bought the outboard. the serial # ES176645 and the model #J5RCS. the dealer looked it up in some form of a master catalog and double checked that they made a 5hp in 1980. it has the power pack like the 4.5hp. gear shift and tiller throttle like the 4.5. i looked at a 1982 6hp and it is not the same shape power head so i am assuming it is based on the 4.5. i haven't actually weighed it but it feels lighter than the 6hp. the fuel tank under the cowling and the bracket it is mounted to is definitely factory. so is the decal for the valve that switches the fuel from internal to external. is there a way to tell if the motor was made for the USA market or if somehow it was maybe a European or world market motor? i'm sure if i need parts they will be interchangeable with the 4.5 except for whatever they changed tune-up wise to get the other 1/2 hp. or if they actually did anything or just renamed it. but it would just be nice to track down a parts manual for it just in case. i'm thinking the service manual will be the same as the 4.5/7.5 hp manual. anybody else seen or own one of these motors?

Joe Reeves

Supreme Mariner

Although the model number is J5RCS which might give one the impression the engine is a 5hp Johnson..... it is not.

Model number J5RCS is a 1980 4.5hp Johnson.
Model number J8RCS is a 1980 7.5hp Johnson.
Both engines are grouped into one parts manual.

I just double checked my Evinrude part manuals and E5RCS and E8RCS are respectively a 1980 4.5 Evinrude and a 1980 7.5hp Evinrude. Both engines are also grouped into one parts manual.

-------------------------------

The only difference between the Evinrude and Johnson engine in the parts manuals is usually the decals and the paint color. Other members may be able to verify or dispute this...... we shall see.

marquette

Petty Officer 1st Class

hi
does your parts and sevice manuals for the 4.5/7.5 hp show the internal tank and cowling with the hole in it for the gas cap? some one repainted the cowling but i can stll see the outline of a 5 on the rear of the cowling. in the back of my mind i keep thinking that the 4.5 could be bought with an internal tank or remote tank. i don't remember a model with both or remember what years.

Chinewalker

Fleet Admiral

The 1980 4.5hp model came with the integral tank and option for the external tank. Later 4.5 models (and later 4hp Deluxe model, still the same motor) did away with the integral tank.

Parts manuals can be view at shop2.evinrude.com.