just cant fix

w sajpel

Cadet
I have 96 175 vro fast strike I have two problems with it one is I have to keep priming the ball after every stop or it wont take off it just stalls, number two after a half of days running it takes a some time to get to top rpm

tashasdaddy

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: just cant fix

fuel delivery problem. most likely an air leak in fuel line, or carb needle not seating properly.

could you boat be taking on water, getting heavier during the day.

w sajpel

Cadet

I have replaced all fuel lines and priming ball, when I start off I pump the ball until it gets firm the boat runs fine I sit and fish then the ball has no gas in it.
Another thing if I pump the ball until firm and just let it idle it will idle for about three min or so then die I then have to prime the ball again. The doesn?t take on any water its almost like the boat is running in safe mode it just wont get past 3000 rpm but the next morning no problem with the rpm unless I fish all day. I can?t trust any of the marines in my area for help.
Thanks for any help

Reel Quick

Cadet

Had the same problem, turned out to be a small screen in the PU tube giong into the fuel tank. Took me 2 years to find it.

w sajpel

Cadet

Had the same problem, turned out to be a small screen in the PU tube giong into the fuel tank. Took me 2 years to find it.
ok sounds good! how do i get to this screen? I understand i have to pull my fule tank.

tx1961whaler

Vice Admiral

ok sounds good! how do i get to this screen? I understand i have to pull my fule tank.

Whoa! Hold up there pardner! Go down to Wal-mart and buy a portable tank and new fuel line assembly first and run it off of that to see if the problem goes away with the little tank before you go yanking out the big tank. You could just be looking at a leaky fitting here....

w sajpel

Cadet

Good idea my mind was going 240 I have a 5gl tank in the shed off a old 7hp Johnson I will try it tonight.
Thanks for looking out.
Wally

Reel Quick

Cadet

Nooooo don`t pull the tank. Like he said run off an other tank.With a hose.
In my situation I had access to get to the sending unit and the PU tube form the tank through a access screw on floor panel.
I had a rubber hose(Fuel PU) connected to a 90 degree elbow,
And there was the SSteel Pu tube connected to the 90 degree.

After 2 years I found out from a dock mate that had the same problem that there is a little screen in that PU tube.THEY DON`T TELL YOU THAT IN THE BOOK!
Just un screwed it blew out the screen and he got a bottle of scotch.

Good Lord willing this works for you as it did for me..I was ready to scuttle the boat.
Let me know how you make out.
I really hope this works for you .

w sajpel

Cadet

If this second tank works I then know my first problem is in my tank when or if I pull the tank dose this pickup tube have a check valve on it or is it just a screen?

w sajpel

Cadet

I installed the second tank and she ran on boy did I have a smile on my face! so the problem is in the main tank and still don?t understand what I will be looking for when I pull it but thanks for all your help on my first problem I will let you know what I find.
Wally

w sajpel

Cadet

:confused:I went to the lake to work on taking the main gas tank out I still had a ? of tank so I went down the river to burn the gas up and the motor would not run under a load with the small tank unless someone would pump the ball.
So I went to the main tank and the same thing the motor will now not run unless someone keeps pumping the priming ball.
So my problem got worse I am now thinking flue pump?
wally

tx1961whaler

Vice Admiral

Good job!
I helps to eliminate one thing at a time with these odd problems. Glad you already had the spare tank, so it didn't cost you anything.... those tanks are way more expensive than they should be!

Faztbullet

Supreme Mariner

I agree with "Kenmyfam" as this should have been checked first, I'll give ya a example, in the last 2 weeks I have changed 3 late model OMS pumps due to failure,all had the same failure,the internal "tan" check valve diaphram was swollen twice the normal size resulting in no/low fuel pressure.