Volvo SX Gimble grease tube...

TRONMAN2000

Seaman Apprentice
I got on the water for the first time this year. It was 83 deg Saturday! The boat ran great, so I guess it survived another rough winter here in Virginia. After I pulled the boat out of the water and began to strap her down, I noticed my gimble bearing grease tube was not where it was supposed to be!! S*@T:mad: It was no longer pressed into the gimble housng. I pressed the tube back in place. Obviously, I must have pulled it loose when I removed the grease gun from the zerk durng winterization. So, I guess my first outing this year was with water in my drive bellow. My question is, would you pull the dive and bellows after one outing with the grease tube out of it's place? Or, do you think it will be ok until the end of the season when I pull the drive anyway?

Thanks

TRONMAN2000

Seaman Apprentice
Re: Volvo SX Gimble grease tube...

Thanks Don S, That fix looks very good. Maybe Volvo should have thought of that!! I have pressed the tube back in, but I was wondering how much damage it may have done in just one day. BTW I trailer my boat.

Bondo

Staff member

but I was wondering how much damage it may have done in just one day.

Ayuh,.. It depends on how much water got in,+ whether it's Saltwater, or Sweet water...

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

but I was wondering how much damage it may have done in just one day.

Pull the outdrive and find out.

TRONMAN2000

Seaman Apprentice

Pull the outdrive and find out.
I figured you would say that. :( After pulling the drive, what am i going to do other that greasing my U-joints and gimble bearing again? Alignment was done during winterization. BTW It was in Sweetwater for about 2 hrs.

Don S

After pulling the drive, what am i going to do other that greasing my U-joints and gimble bearing again?

Isn't getting the water out of there and greasing the bearings enough?????????

While you are in there, you might want to put the zirk in. You will have to pull the bellhousing to do that.

wired1236

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Don-

I had this same thing happen on my '06 VP SX this last year. The shop I took it to for my winter checkup just replaced the tube, (along with the gimbal bearing and bellows). I would like do the fix on my OD. Do you have to pull the gimbal bearing? It's looks like you should from the pics. I've never pulled my drive myself so don't have experience with doing so.

Don S

Start a new thread of your own wired. We can discuss it there. This is TRONMANs thread.