hooking up a tac for a 75 hp starflite.

cougar1985

Lieutenant Junior Grade
currently in the process of rerigging my cedarstip boat from the current 90 hp evinrude to my classic 1963 75 hp starflite evinrude.of course the 90 has the plug in for the tac on the shifter .the 63 is a electshift model with the coil seperate from the magneto/dist.how would i go about hooking up the tac to this motor?all i really want the tac for is to try out a couple of differnt props i have so i can get the correct operating range for this boat/motor combo.
057-1.jpg

Chris1956

Supreme Mariner
Re: hooking up a tac for a 75 hp starflite.

The newer motor uses a tach that counts the pulses of the stator. The old motor doesn't have a stator. You might try an automotive tachometer. Maybe an old dwell/tach would work, since the old motor is a battery/points ign system. Connect the tach to the distributor wire to the points, and set the dwell/tach to 8 cylinder (4 cylinder 2 cycle = 8 cylinder 4 cycle) and see if it seems to read properly.

cougar1985

Lieutenant Junior Grade
Re: hooking up a tac for a 75 hp starflite.

The newer motor uses a tach that counts the pulses of the stator. The old motor doesn't have a stator. You might try an automotive tachometer. Maybe an old dwell/tach would work, since the old motor is a battery/points ign system. Connect the tach to the distributor wire to the points, and set the dwell/tach to 8 cylinder (4 cylinder 2 cycle = 8 cylinder 4 cycle) and see if it seems to read properly.
never thought of that one ,anybody see anything wrong with this or ?should be able to dig up a dwell tac and anyways might come in handy for some of my other oldies.