Motor cuts out every 2 minutes???????

jyenney

Cadet
I posted earlier but with a diffrent header. I have a 1999 merc 75 hp. The motor runs great, but when I'm at WOT the motor makes a high pitch bawww for 1 to 2 seconds. This only happens every 2 minutes. I got a response to check my tank vent. I've went thru my tank vent and found no problems with the vent ?? Any ideas.

Also the fuel tank is very hard to fill, it keeps throwing fuel back out after a 1/2 gallon has been put in the tank. I noticed that I have a VERY VERY small leak on the fuel line connector to the motor. Could this be the problem. Should I change the bulb and line

Surfer Dave

Seaman Apprentice
Re: Motor cuts out every 2 minutes???????

as for the fueling problem, check the vent hose, if there is a sharp bend in it that could be the problem. I also have a 2000 75hp and i had the same problem with the engine cutting out at wide open, I changed my fuel filter and that solved my problem, hope this helps

jyenney

Cadet

Well I've changed all my fuel lines, straigtned my vent line, changed my fuel filter, and the motor still cuts out at WOT. Not sure what else could be wrong. The motor runs flawless at 4700 to 4800 rpm.

verado7

Chief Petty Officer

is this motor oil injected or fuel injected ?

verado7

Chief Petty Officer

check the injectors first - could be leaking , seizing or shorting - first thing i check on injected models - you ll need a manual and a multimeter to run thru the tests for power issues - look for corroded elec. connectors etc .