Putting a sound system in w a amp and 1 sub, do I need another battery?

The Grayt 1

Seaman
We are upgrading our sound system in our new boat. We are adding a 10 inch sub and we wired in an amp and have 4 speakers as of now. Will this be too much strain on our one battery? Or do we need another one? If so how do you hook two up? Or we were thinking about putting a solar battery charger on our one battery while we are just listening to music anchored out. Thanks in advance!

cr2k

Captain
Re: Putting a sound system in w a amp and 1 sub, do I need another battery?

If you are planning on hanging out with the tunes playing I would add another battery with an isolator so you don't run down the starting battery and get stuck.

If you are only gonna play while underway then you are good.

madurodave

Petty Officer 1st Class

no. I power (4) 160 watt speakers, amp and sub. No issues so far. If you plan to sit for more than an hour or two with music loud to entertain the beach goers and the fish, then maybe.

Bondo

Staff member

Or we were thinking about putting a solar battery charger on our one battery while we are just listening to music anchored out.

Ayuh,... Those make Not nearly enough power to be much help...

Expidia

Commander

I'll sometimes hang in a cove playing the stereo and a Sirius head unit which I found drained my starter battery down half to 1/3 left in a few hours. O/b's alternator on trip back was never bringing it back up to full which meant I was always leaving the battery in 1/2 charged state during the week when I wasn't using it. That takes years off the battery life.

I just went with a Walmart Everstart dual purpose for $68. Now when I run it down I'm not ruining the battery because regular starter batteries thinner plates are not designed to be run down each time where as a deep cycle is.

If you have room I'd get a battery and a Perco type selector switch and if you are going to be playing your stereo for awhile run it off that dual purpose battery. If you only use 1 battery get a dual purpose.

Even now when I trailer home after a 20 mile run on the lake after I had played the stereo for few hours it still takes 6 hours for my battery charger to bring it back to full. Charger is an auto charger so the batteries not that low because it starts out at 2.5 amps on the meter which is almost a trickle. If it was deep discharged it would start out at 10 amps so the alternator is bringing it back up on the way home on the lake but it tells me that even 20 miles is not enough for the alternator to top it off to full.

Surfer Dave

Seaman Apprentice

I have 4 speakers on 1 amp and a subwoofer on another amp, I went with 2 batteries, 1 for engine and bilge pump, the other for the stereo. lights and gauges. That way I can play the stereo all day without worrying if the engine will start. The 2 batteries are not wired together. It is just much easier for me that way. I go out everyday and play the stereo all the time, I can go about 5 days between charging the stereo battery, I never have to charge the battery for the engine. I have friends that do it differently and it seems I'm always having to jump their batteries, they never learn.

Surfer Dave

Seaman Apprentice

here is a picture of my sub woofer

Attachments

• finished boat 2.jpg
    finished boat 2.jpg
    19.4 KB · Views: 0