powerhead or drive train

greeves

Cadet
i have a 1990 150 hp force i just got. took the boat out sunday and took off. i got up to speed and lost top end power and eventally lost all power the engine shut down all at once. when i took the hood off there was water in the tube all the way to the bottom of the engine compartment. i was told it was a fresh rebuild. when i got home i put wrench in the flywheel and i could turn it and see all 5 pistons move but hear a clicking at or below the bottom cyl. and when i turn the prob even in neutral it turns hard. any ideas on where i should start. thanks guys im new and really need the help.

roscoe

Supreme Mariner
Re: powerhead or drive train

Welcome to iboats, sorry for the motor woes.

I would check engine compression, check spark, and remove lower unit and see if that will allow it to spin freely. This should give you an idea on where to go next.

pnwboat

Rear Admiral

Are you saying that when you out it in neutral, the propeller turns real hard?

greeves

Cadet

yes even in neutral the prop turns hard. and is water suppose to be in the shaft housing right under the powerhead. if i pull the plugs i can see the pistons moving and will blow my finger off the plug holes i can hear noise coming from the bottom piston or lower how does the power transfer from power head to lower unit.

pnwboat

Rear Admiral

Well either it's not in neutral or there may be a problem in the gear case. When you turn the prop in neutral, does the flywheel turn?

greeves

Cadet

i b sure to check in the morning and see i was pretty ticked off when i got home from the lake. the guy i bought the boat from said the motor was a fresh rebuild with 6 hrs on it. so you can imange my feelings when it left me too a 45 minute trolling motor ride back to the ramp lol.

foodfisher

Captain

Water in the lower leg might be a missing or missplaced idle relief Thingy. It's a rubber accordion hose like thing with a spring inside. Only held in place with this springs tension. If it's not where it's supposed to be, the exhaust with water coolant will not exit the motor leg cover. All the above is if a 150 is anything like a 125.

greeves

Cadet

the flywheel doesent turn when i turn the prop. i can hear racket in the mid case right under the bottom piston is there a bearing there for the drive shaft or would the problem be the lower unit. what can i do to check and could the lower unit be the reason i lost top end power before it eventually shut down.