a newbie story

BF

Lieutenant
my neighbor at the lake is a new owner of a '70's vee-hull hull (glastron, 80hp). Boat was in the water for a week or so at the cabin, and he was slowly learning things like how to start it without killing the battery and how not to run out of gas. He had company on the weekend, and the guy flipped the bilge pump on as the boat was tied to the dock. After the first minute of solid stream of water, the guy says, "there's a h@ll of alot of water in the boat!". Neighbor non-chalantly says, "Oh, I probably forgot to put the plug in." They feel into the well, sure enough, no plug. It was in the glove box.<br /><br />So, the boat had been in the water for days without a plug. It was flooded underneith the floor, but I guess the floor was just at the water line, so it wasn't sloshing around on top. I guess it would drain (temporarily) when they went out for a ride.<br /><br />Now that's a good boat! Of course if he keeps the bilge/floor wet all the time, it won't last long.

wikelam

Chief Petty Officer
Re: a newbie story

found out the hard way. my first boat was aluminum. so didnt hurt it. now i put the plug with the key to the boat. so always remember.

Ross J

Lieutenant Junior Grade
Re: a newbie story

I have found the ice box to be the place where I keep all the equipment needed to go out on the ocean. In there I keep the bungs, cutting board, removable table top and bait. That way I cannot possibly launch the boat without seeing the bungs and knowing they need putting in the appropriate places.<br />Belive me I have learnt this through experience. there's been the time when I didn't put the bungs in, but thats another story.<br /><br />Ross