Hydraulic Steering Suddenly Has Feedback? Morse

SteuryLover

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Well I recently installed a used Morse branded hydraulic steering system on my 1999 150 Merc XR6. It is a 4 turn lock to lock system in great shape with no leaks. When I first installed it it had no feedback whatsoever. Suddenly last time I took her out there is feedback. I can push on the outboard while on the trailer and the steering wheel turns. Im pretty sure I could not do that before. The boat tracked pretty much straight when I first installed it, now pulls hard right. Any info would be great. I am assuming there is some feature either in the helm or cylinder that makes the anti-feedback work. Thanks in advance.

BaileysBoat

Senior Chief Petty Officer
Re: Hydraulic Steering Suddenly Has Feedback? Morse

Shouldn't happen. Which helm is it?

SteuryLover

Petty Officer 2nd Class

There are no markings on the helm, it is an older unit. I do know it is 4 turns lock 2 lock. It still feels great, moves very easy both ways. No leaks that I can find. What is the part in the unit that makes it no feedback? Thanks for the response.

BaileysBoat

Just to confirm, hydraulic system, no cables to the outboard?

If so the helm uses valves to control feedback. Not servicable as far as I know.

SteuryLover

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Just to confirm, hydraulic system, no cables to the outboard?

If so the helm uses valves to control feedback. Not servicable as far as I know.

Yes it is hydraulic not cable. So you are saying it is in the helm not the cylinder and I am looking at a helm replacement? Thanks for your time.

BaileysBoat

Maybe sediment is interfering with the check valves. What I would try is pull the helm, drain and refill with ATF fluid. On the bench work the helm back and forth to flush it out, blow the fittings with low pressure air, and refill and bleed with fresh SeaStar oil.

Might get lucky.

SteuryLover

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Maybe sediment is interfering with the check valves. What I would try is pull the helm, drain and refill with ATF fluid. On the bench work the helm back and forth to flush it out, blow the fittings with low pressure air, and refill and bleed with fresh SeaStar oil.

Might get lucky.

I will try a drain and fill, the oil is seastar and is less then 60 days old. You may be right though, could be something floating around that got stuck. I will keep you posted, thanks.