Shift cable Slipping or Motor ?

surge006

Petty Officer 2nd Class
OK so i took my boat out yesturday it is a 86 bayliner with a volvo aq125 and270d out drive. To my suprise the boat ran perfect all day and the last time i stopped and re started the boat the shifter to go into forward wasnt going in the motor would rev and then it slammed in before i could pull it back to neutral. But then when i did put it in neautral it was engaged in reverse so reverse took over neautral and a about 1/8 throttle forward was neutral. So is something bad in motor trans end or cable somehow got out of whack and needs to be replaced ? and help would be great

jerryjerry05

Supreme Mariner
Re: Shift cable Slipping or Motor ?

Could be a bad cable or the shifter is comming apart.J

surge006

Petty Officer 2nd Class

So i havnt looked at it yet but say it is cable do i just measure length ? Cause here on iboats there just length so will they fit all years and models ?

cr2k

Captain

Pull the drive cover (large phillips screw at the top) have someone work tyhe shifter and see if the linkage is moving.

Run boat on muffs (NEVER DRY) and move the linkage by hand (watch your feet in the prop) and see if it shifts.

You should be able to figure out which it is from there.

Only other possibility is the control box.

surge006

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Ok so i found the problem it is the shifter cable right when it goes into the out drive the crimping piece is broke. So 1 ? is, it runs threw the back shield into a hose which is bolted on to it. do i just un screw it and pull it threw ? then it runs to control box and on the control box i cant see how it attaches and cant see any bolts to take it off any tricks ?