56 Sea King

olliebird

Seaman Apprentice
Can I replace my coils on my 5HP 56 SeaKing Mod# GG 9002B Ser.# 65x639398 with electronic ignition? If so where may I purchase it and is it a simple transition? I may have a carb problem but want to get rid of those pesky coil wires anyway. When I run it in the barrel ( a no,no) in neutral it runs great even at high speed but when I put it in gear it really bogs down bad, very bad.
Just thought of something, a couple years ago I was fooling with it and did replace one coil wire with an old carbon auto coil wire I had laying around, maybe problem???? Still going to go through the carb tho, am sure it needs attention.....

Thanks guys...

JasonAych

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: 56 Sea King

you want 7mm copper core wire. i get mine at a lawn mower shop. those auto wires never seem to wok well with the old magneto points and condensor systems.

steelespike

Supreme Mariner

Stick with the old magneto system.They are very reliable and all parts are readily available.Ignition parts are the same as the E/J motors of that era.
There is a Magnatune kit 18-5101 here at iboats but your still going to be using coils and coil wires.

olliebird

Seaman Apprentice

Thanks guys appreciate your responses.....Guess I shouldn't even worry about the thing, hasn't been on a boat for many years. I do try to run it in my barrel every 2 to 4 years tho. 2 or 3 yrs. ago when I ran it I noticed the impeller was bad and did replace it. Just fish in the river locally and with no prop clutch it is too much trouble replacing the shear pin.....Just use trolling motor....