Stringers and Foam

Seadoomanls

Petty Officer 3rd Class
What is the purpose of the stringers in a hull?

Is it to help with flotation or to help keep the boat conformed correctly or simply just to hold the deck up?

What about the foam? I mean does it not do more damage when wet than not having it at all?

I have a 1986 Bass Boat that I want to do the full resto to next winter so I am trying to save up the approximate $1600 I figure I will need.

Oh, btw, my Bass Boat sank last may and I thought what I did was tear it apart and rebuild it. But after reading on here, I did not do anywhere near a rebuild. I have not even looked into the deck and I already know I need new decks, transom, stringers and foam removal. Also, I am going to make my bass boat a center console when I do it!

Since the sinking it has been run again. I use it to fish 2 or 3 times a week!

Was just wondering those few questions. Thnx!

Bob_VT

Moderator & Unofficial iBoats Historian
Staff member
Re: Stringers and Foam

Stringers maintain the strength and integrity of the hull. PROPER installation of foam and flotation products is key to keeping things dry and draining below the deck ;)

cedarjunki

Chief Petty Officer

Stringers maintain the strength and integrity of the hull. PROPER installation of foam and flotation products is key to keeping things dry and draining below the deck ;)

in some cases the foam is the structural integrity too....

Bondo

Staff member

What is the purpose of the stringers in a hull?

Ayuh,... It's the Backbone of the hull....
Just like Your bones,.. Without 'em, you're a pile of jelly...

erikgreen

Captain

I'm a pile of jelly WITH my bones. Maybe I need a stringer job?

:)