Not using lower unit water pump???

dipthenet

Seaman Apprentice
Hello,

I have a question. I just had a mechanic come out to replace my bellows, pump rebuild, lower shift, trim senders and a bearing. That said, when he started tearing it down. He notice the the hoses were not installed and plugged. He looked at me and said after 30 years he's never seen this. He asked if the boat was in Salt, then I stated I had a closed cooling system and that it was in salt. He then said I did not need the pump. Doesnt that pump also cool the upper half of the lower unit? Do I need it?? I ran the boat last season a bit, and the previous owner ran it for who knows how long like that. Guess I am just a bit confused. Its and alpha one drive. Thanks for any input.

Bondo

Staff member
Re: Not using lower unit water pump???

Ayuh,... You Can't just yank the pump,+ toss it,.. It holds in the oil...
Just keep it in good repair, dumping it's water wherever convenient...
'ell,.. You could plumb a livewell with it if ya want...

rjwoodrome

Petty Officer 1st Class

instead of the heat exchanger, does he have a radiator?? :rolleyes:

skargo

Banned

I have no impeller in my Alpha One either. Only the engine mounted seawater pump.

dipthenet

Seaman Apprentice

So its needed, to hold the lower unit oil in. But not needed to cool the outdrive. I think I got it.

rjwoodrome, I do have a heat exchanger.

Thanks again to all.

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner

So...how does raw water go to your heat exchanger? You have a raw water pump driven by the engine?

skargo

Banned

So...how does raw water go to your heat exchanger? You have a raw water pump driven by the engine?

I do, and would hope dipthenet does.

dipthenet, on the starboard, lower side of your engine, you should have a belt driven pump, driven off the crank pulley. You will hopefully have a thru-hull water pickup near the rear, center of your hull.

dipthenet

Seaman Apprentice

SKARGO,

That is almost exactly what I have. Other than my pickup is port side just forward the engine.

Thanks