We must stop the MADNESS!!

jamiewashere256

Petty Officer 3rd Class
We have all seen it happen. It may of even happened to you, yet we still see it happening to people everywhere. When will it all stop people? It is time for us all to do our part to stop........."I'll just take all my straps, winch and my saftey chain loose and launch my boat by tapping the brakesitis" This condition is far more widespread than most realize, some people, get it so bad, that they will even try this with a ROLLER trailer. You can do your part to stop the spread of this terrible condition by doing this one simple 2 step process in which I will explain in detail at this time.<br />1. Go to the boat ramp<br />2. When you see someone attempting to use this launching method, say " Hey! Dummy! I wouldn't do that if I were you!<br />After you complete this process, the person you just tried to help will graciously hold up the greatest of his five digits at you and say bad words. Don't get mad at this point remeber, HE IS INFECTED!You tried, all you can really do at this point is grab a drink, sit back and enjoy <br />the show. I know, sounds harsh but it's what we call "tough love" The only cure for........."I'll just take all my straps, winch and my saftey chain loose and launch my boat by tapping the brakesitis" Is a ground down lower unit and a big @ss hole in your tansom. Oh and the part of looking like a total idiot adds to the cure as well. Oh sure we will help you at the ramp but as soon as your gone, we will be laughing at you. I promise.<br /><br /> Edited for family reading.

JB

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: We must stop the MADNESS!!

Quit beating around the bush, Star.<br /><br />Tell us what you really think. :D

Specks n Reds

Chief Petty Officer

It's my boat and I will launch any way I want to.<br />Have no need for "by-stander" approval.<br />I have some that didn't safely launch with a brake tap so they were floated off others got the tap method.<br />My current boat launches very well by brake tap with the motor tilted up off a bunk trailer with guide posts.<br /><br />So if you don't mind I will keep launching that way.

Jack Shellac

Lieutenant Commander

Well, one day you will tap too soon and the boat will launch off onto the concrete. I have seen this happen and it was not a pretty sight. I personally have no objection to anyone launching this way. It's your boat.

jamiewashere256

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Friends, we have some denial. It's O.K., it is part of the condition. Like I said, there is only one cure and it's fiberglass,aluminum & steel grinding down a concrete launching ramp.

jamiewashere256

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Oh, and yes it is your boat, but it is OUR ramp. Personally I don't want to have to wait 45 min. for someone who has to get thier boat off the ground (like I did Sunday)Simply because they think this is a cool way to launch, I guess thats why people do it??? That or they are just too lazy to simply unhook the chain and winch and push the boat off by hand. OH and I almost forgot ,the lower unit oil all over the ramp,thats nice too.

Specks n Reds

Chief Petty Officer

Could be some people just don't know how to do it and do right.<br />They end up with the boat on the ramp and not in the water.

neumanns

Lieutenant Commander

Easy boys its nothing to get the blood presure up over. ;) Watched a fellow do this the other day without a bow rope, pulled up parked the truck and than swam out to his boat. I must say saved a lot of time by not tying up. Oh well to each his own, wonder if he ever tried this aproach in a river?

walleyehed

Admiral

Can't help but add my thoughts as well....I've seen several people over the years do this and as the boat was floating off the trailer, they found the batt didn't have the juice to spin'er over...and then you hear the words, "can someone help me".........<br />If you launch this way, it's not if, it's when it's going to happen to you......... :D

JB

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

Now that I think of it, this belongs in Stupid Human Tricks.<br /><br />Moving it there.

ebbtide176

Commander

i agree - they must be infected... or maybe they had it all planned out right, except they expected the lake to be higher? :D hehe

n0ukf

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Yeah, like here. Last year, Lake of the Woods was three feet higher!

Spidybot

Lieutenant Commander

Alone because I like my boat so much, I wouldn't dream of throwing it off the trailer. Not into the water and onto any surface.<br /><br />You all know that the attitude is different from one boater to another - some doesn't give a sh't if their gear looks and works like garbage.<br /><br />It's their stuff and their decision.<br /><br />Those blocking ramps (for this reason or any other) are plain rude. Such jerks find it still harder to get help when most needed. Wonder why..?

SoulWinner

Commander

Greetings,<br /><br />I am in agreement with all parties here. On a steep ramp it does not seem like a good idea, but remember, all ramps are different, above and below the water. The ramp I normally use is very flat, so I back the boat down, shift to "Drive" and tap the accelorater and the trailer comes right out from under the boat. Tapping the brake accomplishes the same thing. It is just a fieled expedient(sp?) and can be done without risk to the boat if the ramp is not verticle. Just my .02 :)

jamiewashere256

Petty Officer 3rd Class

UU, you've got it. My boats are sacred to me. So much work and time and money invested. I can't imagine throwing either of them off of a trailer.

dakotashooter2

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Obviously some of you have never launched on a flat ramp. In my area you'd be lucky to get a 3 percent incline on most ramps. Sometimes you nearly have to have the front tires of the tow vehicle in the water before you get deep enough to float the boat. I often do the tap but never unhook the bow strap until the trailer tires are in water that way if it would slide off it still would be safe.

jamiewashere256

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Yeah not alot of flat ramps here. But the question is, would you ever launch your boat on a steep ramp with the bow line and the saftey chain unhooked?

dakotashooter2

Petty Officer 2nd Class

NO !!!! My point being, while it is usally not advisable there are situations where it is desireable.