1992 60HP 3 Cyl Mercury Oil/Temp Warning Module?

browning3

Recruit
While anchored on a river fishing my warning alarm started going off. I had the key in the on position but the motor was off and had been for a good hour so it was cold. I started the motor and ran it for a few minutes and it stayed cool and never got hot. The alarm all of a sudden fizzled out and went away. This continued intermittently throughout the day until it finally it just stayed on at all times. Now it only turns off when the key is off.

It's not the oil tank sensor since I already had to take that wire off awhile back(YES I watch the levels in the tank like a hawk). I can get the alarm to turn off if I disconnect the solid tan wire from the module. I figured this meant a bad oil warning module so I purchased a new one from a local marine parts shop this morning.

I have yet to install and would like any additional things to check before I open the package and can no longer return the module to the store.

So is there a Temp sensor someplace that I should check? Is there any additional troubleshooting I should do?

Thanks,

Jon

Silvertip

Supreme Mariner
Re: 1992 60HP 3 Cyl Mercury Oil/Temp Warning Module?

Temp sensor has a tan wire coming off the top fo the water cover. Disconnect the bullet connector. Use an ohm meter to see if the sensor is open or closed when the engine is cold. If closed, replace the switch. If open, it's ok.

browning3

Recruit

Thanks for the help. What is the "Water Cover" you are referring too? I haven't had a chance to look at the motor yet but don't remember any typ of cover. Unless you are referring to the plastic cover that covers where the spark plug wires go into??

Thanks,

Jon

saumon

Lieutenant

The temp sensor is located beside the middle spark plug hole, to the left and the wire is tan/blue. Disconnect it and if it still sound, your module is bad. If it solve the problem, then the sensor is faulty.