Trailer floats....

Status
Not open for further replies.

basshunter25

Recruit
So I have this aluminum homemade trailer that came with the boat I just bought and the air in the tires makes the trailer float when I am trying to load the boat. I am wondering if there is anything I can do to maybe weigh down the trailer or what, I don't know. Any help appreciated.
thanks

Attachments

• IMGP0086.jpg
    IMGP0086.jpg
    150.1 KB · Views: 0

DianneB

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: Trailer floats....

Well I am more of a farmer than a marine expert but there is a fluid they put in tractor tires for added weight. Anybody that does agricultural tires would have it.

Are you sure it is the tires that are making it float and not trapped air in the trailer frame?

You did undo the tie-downs, right? (Sorry, couldn't resist! ;) )

DBreskin

Senior Chief Petty Officer

Well I am more of a farmer than a marine expert but there is a fluid they put in tractor tires for added weight. Anybody that does agricultural tires would have it.

Fluid-filled tires might work well in agricultural applications since they rotate at relatively low speeds. I think the fluid may create a problem in this trailer at highway speeds.

cedarjunki

Chief Petty Officer

its kinda hard to tell but it looks like the bunks are roughly 12' long? that amount of wood plus the tires on that short of a trailer being so light is probly the culprit...
you could get a longer better fitting trailer or add on to that one.

smokeonthewater

Fleet Admiral

well fwiw you need a longer trailer for that boat. Those long bunks sticking off the back might as well just be cut off since they bow down and don't support the boat anyhow. I would shop around and kill two birds w one stone

otherwise

Make sure that the hollow tubes of the trailer are open to flood with water... this is the most common cause for a floating trailer... If indeed the tires are all that is floating it then sure you can weight it down.... Anything that is metal and can be bolted/clamped to it will do..... do not fluid fill your tires though unless you want them to explode at speed though... they are not nearly as strong at tractor tires and spin at MUCH higher rpm...

Home Cookin'

Fleet Admiral

with a boat that size, you don't need to sink the trailer. Winch it on.
That's for when you replace the trailer.

Rwebber77

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Definitely would look at a different trailer, that boat is hanging on for dear life. Otherwise I would cut the bunks down and bolt on a little weight (after testing to see how much weight is necessary of course).

Huron Angler

Admiral

You did undo the tie-downs, right?

That may have been the reason right there;)...otherwise I agree that the tubes are probably floating it. Cut the bunks down, drill some bleeder holes in the tubes to let water flow and see what happens.

Silvertip

Supreme Mariner

Did the coupler hit you in the chin the first time you unhooked the trailer -- and that's why the safety chains are tight as they are still tied to the car! You have negative tongue weight with that rig. It is very wrong for the boat. You need a different trailer or a much longer tongue so the boat can be pulled forward so the transom sits at the end of the bunks. As mentioned, the ones you have are purely decorative as it sits.

moonfish

Petty Officer 2nd Class

That would be true if he wasn't holding the tongue up with that trash can so it can drain......

Silvertip

Supreme Mariner

Unless that boat has a 100# anchor up front, it most definitely has negative tongue weight.

v8power

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Yea, that almost looks like a waverunner trailer.

basshunter25

Recruit

Yeah I know the trailer is too short, but I got a great deal on the boat and this is the trailer that came with it. It pulls good so Im just gonna put on some new bunks and wait till I find a good deal on a bigger trailer. As for the floating I think I will just try and weigh it down with some heavy metal on the back. Frame isn't made from tubing its more of a bracket type aluminum meaning no space to fill with air.
Thanks

smokeonthewater

Fleet Admiral

well don't look for too long or you may have a great deal on two halves of a boat... good luck:)

kyle f

Chief Petty Officer

That appears to be a PWC Trailer, with bunks added on that are too big for the trailer. You are floating because of the wood and the tires... but the wood is the change point. You could just weld in some bars to support the end of the wood and connect them together and to the existing trialer frame. That shoudl correct your floating issue and support the load properly. Then you may not need a different trialer.

180shabah

Rear Admiral

It pulls good so

Assuming you don't pull very far or fast, all that weight so far behindthe axle makes for a "lively" trip.

D

DJ

I think the wood bunks are floating the trailer.

By far, the easiest and cheapest thing to do is replace the tongue. A bolt on affair.

That would allow you to drastically shorten the bunks, still leaving a necessary overlength for transom support. All you would need to add is a roller or pad for the bow of the boat to rest on.

basshunter25

Recruit

Great idea Dj. I was starting to think this forum was just gonna make jokes. Im not an idiot I see the boat is too big but im also not rich and I was just looking for some ideas to help the trailer not float. I just got the boat and haven't even had time to work on anything. So new bunks which I planned on doing and a tongue extension should even things out.
Thanks
Travis

Home Cookin'

Fleet Admiral

used trailers for small boats are cheap, adn you ahve somehting good to sell/trade. Why put the time, money and effort into making this trailer work--a square peg in a round hole--when you could spend less time and money replacing it? At least you can use it until you do, and don't back it in so far.

Until then, take off your motor and lay it in front of the console when you trailer, both for balance and to protect the motor from the inevitable calamity.

Status
Not open for further replies.