Buying a Boat Need Some Advice

readytoretire

Recruit
I have been looking to purchase a Bass Tracker Boat. I saw one advertised on craigslist Saturday.

2003 bass tracker pro team 165 - $3500 (essex)

http://baltimore.craigslist.org/boa/1674957302.html

The writeup says "it was my best friends dad's boat he used it in florida and we brought it up here after he passed away. it hasn't been in the water in 2 years."

Talked to the person today, arranging time tomorrow to look at the boat. He says the title for the boat and trailer are clean. Also said he tuned it and dewinterized it.

I searched the web to see if this is a scam. Couldn't find anything.

I asked if we could take a test drive if everything checks out (all electronics work) boat looks good, clean and reasonable. He said no problem.

I currently own a boat, which I brought from a previous owner. I have had this boat for 12 years. It is a small jon boat with a 9.9 evinrude

Should I have any concerns about purchasing this boat ?

Thanks

NYBo

Admiral
Re: Buying a Boat Need Some Advice

Welcome to iboats!:cool:

Nothing jumps out from the ad or your interaction with the seller. Only a careful once-over and in-water test will tell for sure. Look for any signs of structural problems, like a soft sole (aka "floor"). The price seems to be in the ballpark.

26aftcab454

Lieutenant Commander

you need to test drive the boat- if it starts & runs well-turn on all the swiches and see if everything is working.
if it will not start & run then walk away- there are alot of good used boats for sale. that price is for a top notch boat in good condition- -
do not settel for less-keep looking:cool:

reelnative

Petty Officer 3rd Class

if everything cks out ok then start the offer at 2000 and work your way up from there, rem you are the person with the cash and you are in control and never be afraid to walk away, also bring a compression gauge and ck the color of the lower unit fluid, ck all the cables and hoses for wear, look at the batt to see how old it is, and ck the trailer good, if you find any problems then those are things that will give you leverage to get a better deal, almost all boats will have some flaws so use them to your advantage

ezmobee

Supreme Mariner

Living sorta near that area...I can say that's a pretty darn good price for that rig.